Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1947-52 Ignition switch difference ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1947-52 Ignition switch difference ?

I have several new switches with no part numbers and a 51 dash as a test bed. The switches all seem to fit the hole, Is there any reason why they would not work in a 47, 48 49 or 50?

These are all 3 post switches ( 2 med length posts, 1 post pretty long) and all have just the "ON", "OFF" and "ACC" position when you turn the key.

The bezels are all cast/chrome and look just like a known 52 bezel I have. One bezel looks the same as the rest but is aluminum

When I searched for these online they are No Longer Available (NLA) ??

The book breaks them up as different, and 51 & 52 share the same part #. Why might the rest be different?
    Last edited by (S); 01-28-2012, 02:13 PM.

I could be wrong, but I believe the difference is in the nut that retains the switch in the instrument panel, electrically, the switches are the same. Bud

Comment

Thanks, Bud. I kind of thought so too until I found a few more and all the nuts look the same. Does anyone know if the nuts 47- 50 were different than 51-52 ? and what do they look like? Maybe Yale keys, those years? I do not have a 47-50 book.
      Last edited by (S); 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Yale vs. Hurd keys might be the difference. Also, the 47-49 have the long post to accomodate a plastic "cup"/guard that seems to shield all the wires from, er, something. Don't know if 50-51 had that as well.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I took an original ignition switch out of my 1950 parts car and it has the plastic cup/cover that Kurtruk refers to. I believe that both Yale and Hurd lock cylinders were used in 1950. I don't know if the brand of lock cylinder was specific to certain models (my 1950 Champion has a Yale lock) or if they were just bought in batches from both suppliers.
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

My 52 Commander has the cast/chromed bezel and has a Hurd lock.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks 41frank.

I know for sure 51 & 52 are the same, still wondering what the difference was on the cars before that. My only guess is what brand lock they used.

Comment

Working...
              X