Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fwd engine squeeeeal, looking for tips..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwd engine squeeeeal, looking for tips..

Gang-
    53 2R11 with a Commander 6. When warmed up, I have this annoying and (concerning) squeal emanating from the front of the engine.
    It only does it after being warmed up. And, only at (and above) a certain rpm..like a fast-idle and up.

I thought it was the crank (no way! oil level good; good psi), maybe the water pump? It's low on the front of the engine, and definetley up front.
    A higher pitched: "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"...[xx(]beginning at a certain rpm and when @ idle -drops off *silent*. The slightest rev (increase in rpm) will introduce it once again. It reminds me of a small wire being drug across a dry chalk board.
    dan0

Herd:
    06 Jetta TDI
    1941 M15
    1953 2R11
    2001 F-350
    1989 Caprice
    Deere's:
    67' 112H
    88' 332

I assume you've eliminated belt squeal as the culprit?

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Yes, it is not the belt for sure.
      -It's not a slipping belt sound.
      dan0

Herd:
      06 Jetta TDI
      1941 M15
      1953 2R11
      2001 F-350
      1989 Caprice
      Deere's:
      67' 112H
      88' 332

Comment

Could it be the oil slinger inside the timing cover? Usually that is more of a chinging, bell-like, sound to my ear.

Any chance the pulley bolts are working loose? That can generate all sorts of odd sounds, and can be load (and therefore rpm) induced.

Comment

Skyway-
          I was thinking oil slinger as well...it's a washer, if memory serve me correct. What the heck could it be contacting? I mean it's lived in the same 'neighborhood' for years!
          dan0

Herd:
          06 Jetta TDI
          1941 M15
          1953 2R11
          2001 F-350
          1989 Caprice
          Deere's:
          67' 112H
          88' 332

Comment

Greetings, danO,

Just remove the belt entirely to eliminate the water pump and generator. Almost has to be one of them.

You should hope it is not a wrist pin against a cylinder wall. Happened to me on a Champion way back when.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
            PackardV8

Comment

Packard-
              Will do...and it's too far forward to be a wrist pin...
              Will report result
              thanks

Herd:
              06 Jetta TDI
              1941 M15
              1953 2R11
              2001 F-350
              1989 Caprice
              Deere's:
              67' 112H
              88' 332

Comment

Dan,

Its a dished washer to my recollection, but I've not been insde a Commander 6 recently enough to remember what it could contact.

Gary

Comment

Take a metal rod, one end at the ear the other on water pump, etc. You should hear a smooth rotation sound on each component, if generator,etc is not the making the squeak. BE CAREFULL not to get the rod or yourself into the fan or other external rotating components.

Comment

Quick update..broke the alternator lastnight (it quit); all troubleshooting on hold,
                    thanks for the support, all.
                    dan

Herd:
                    06 Jetta TDI
                    1941 M15
                    1953 2R11
                    2001 F-350
                    1989 Caprice
                    Deere's:
                    67' 112H
                    88' 332

Comment

maybe the alternator was going bad and it was making the noise? like a dieing pig or something hah.

62 Lark Hardtop, 289 v8 stude power.

Comment

Replaced said bad alternator. What a trick that was trying to explain to the Auto Zone boys!
                        Since the 'floods' began here in KS I have been way-limited in driving the ol boy around so plan to re-evaluate this weekend
                        dan0

Herd:
                        06 Jetta TDI
                        1941 M15
                        1953 2R11
                        2001 F-350
                        1989 Caprice
                        Deere's:
                        67' 112H
                        88' 332

Comment

OK I might be able to help you on this one! About 6 years ago, my Transtar started making a noise EXACTLY like this and while I couldn't pin it down precisely - I was SURE it was coming from the front of the engine. I was SURE it was.
                          Belt off - still squealed once warmed up.

Slinger was a suspect, just as some suggest here. Well, for it to be the source, this means the front hub has to have backed off and the crank end play will be causing other havoc worse than just noise. You're gonna laugh, but I actually ran it with the pulleys removed, the timing cover off and the front hub reinstalled. Messy as hell but it STILL squeaked.

What it FINALLY turned out to be was the damned manifold heat riser!!! Once warmed a bit to where it opened some, it's shaft had worn and polished enough that the pulsations of the exhaust gases made it squeak. Quiet at idle, but as RPMs went up it was there! Drove me NUTS trying to find it as for whatever reason (like a good ventriloquist) the sould seemed to come from someplace OTHER than where it really was.
                          Being in California, it wasn't really necessary so I just wired it open. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how nice not to have to listen to it's shrill serenade every time I went someplace!

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X