Neoprene or Composition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neoprene or Composition

Now that I've got the Valve Covers painted & labeled , time to putem back on..The old gasket was the cork type, which I've scraped off...I'm aiming towards the neoprene but, do I use sealer on it and if so what type ?? Also is it better than the cork type ???

Here is a link from last month concerning the sealant
    question and also goes into the types of materials to
    use for the gaskets.....alittle

Couldn't find a "thread" that covered likes/dislikes of types.........

Sorry about the "missing link" from the earlier post!

Hope this helps

1964 Daytona
    glen Brose
    Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Neoprene is superior to cork. Use a light finger smear ( Not a bead) of red RTV to 'glue' the gasket to the cover. Get rid of any drips or squeege from under the gasket. Let it sit for a day. Make sure all the old gasket is gone from the flange on the head.
      You can also opt to do a light smear on the flange also, but usually not necessary. Position gasket on head....... finger tight to 1/4 wrench turn, on the nuts. Let it sit for a day. Then torque to the factory spec, something like 10-12 inch lbs.

There's a lot of rational objection to using RTV on valve or pan gaskets, since a loose drop can get into your oiling system and wreak havoc. The same thing can happen with Permatex sealer though. Use your own judgement.
      I've been using 3M #90 Contact adhesive on a lot of gaskets and find it very useful to hold things in place and seal also. A real gem with oil pan gaskets..

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55Prez

Then torque to the factory spec, something like 10-12 inch lbs.
        Which reminds me... what do you use to torque to 12 inch-pounds? I've never seen a torque wrench that goes that low.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks forall of your advice...I'll use the neoprene gasket..As far as the torque, I have 2 wrenches that start at 0 & adjust accordingly to what you need..

Comment

quote:Originally posted by showbizkid

Which reminds me... what do you use to torque to 12 inch-pounds? I've never seen a torque wrench that goes that low.
            Torque wrenches also come in inch pound measurements. Check out Sears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

thats where I purchased mine...

Comment

One inch pound is equal to 0.08333 foot pound.
                BrianC.

Comment

Valve cover screw torque rule of finger.

Apply wrench, use index finger, first joint, 2 1/2 inches from screw. pull till it hurts. Thats enough. It doesn't take much.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
                  Tom Bredehoft
                  '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
                  '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
                  (Under Construction 571 hrs.)
                  '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                  All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                  X