Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Which V8 camshaft do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Which V8 camshaft do I have?

I rebuilt an R-1 engine about 20 years ago, and in the interest of trying to get better gas mileage and not having to use premium fuel, I made a few adjustments to it. Firstly, I used dished pistons. Secondly, I think I may have used a standard 289 camshaft instead of the R-1, but I really cannot remember definitively if I really did.

So, here's the question: Is there any way I can determine which cam I used without removing it from the engine?

Thanks,
    Larry

Having had both cams in an engine, I remember the differences as being a slight lope at idle for the R-1 cam, and worse gas mileage with the R-1. So if you have a slight lope, and get 15mpg or so on the highway, you might have an R-1.

Comment

Put a dial indicator on a valve spring retainer. The stock cam has about .360" lift and the R1 has about .400".

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Working...
      X