Wireing harnes and front windhield for my 58 Hawk,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wireing harnes and front windhield for my 58 Hawk,

I need to replace my wireing harness and front windshield on my 58 hawk. Where is a good place to obtain these from. Also,any tips you would share to help me get these changed out.Iv've been off the forum for a while,back surgery and recuperating slowly. My floor pans are coming along still, had to be able to bend again,, Mike..

http://www.studebakerswest.net/

http://www.autoglassclassics.com/
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, got some good info from both sites.

Comment

What type of Butyl tape/filler should I use on my 58 Hawk wndshield? Where in the front windshield frame should it be put,or should I completely surround the glass before it goes in. This is a first for me, would appreciate your input.. Where is a good source for the install, and does anyone have any threads or links showing removal/ installation of hawk front windshield. Thanks...

Comment

Pay an autoglass installer with many years experience to install it and you'll be miles ahead. And some shops can still obtain the glass for you.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Buying my windshield on payday ,already have the new windsheild rubber gasket bought it from stude vender,I hope it it fits,am looking for an old time Glass installer like you suggested. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the heads up..

Comment

Hawkman,
              Where are you located? And YES pay a professional to install it! as Kurtruk mentioned, "you'll be miles and money ahead" Studebakers West wiring harnesses are spot on, they go by the original color codes and you can follow the wiring diagram in the shop manual. I used them on my 52 Commander and my Avanti.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Also, understand what a wiring harness does and does not include. Whatever is bundled in the main loom. Not a lot of the "Extras" under the dash--like the wire for the clock or radio or glovebox light. Those go beyond the main harness.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I'm just outside Spokane Washington.. Mike..

Comment

Thanks,its always those little things that you learn after you buy it,. Has anyone ever tried an aftermarket hot rod type harness?? My Hawk was hot rodded in the 60's so it will never be correct in the word,but it is all will be all studebaker. I have a problerm with the harnesses heating up,and to not have fuses in the systems is against all I was every taught.That you always had fused circuits to protect your studebakers. I really don't want to finish this and loose it do to a fire..

Comment

Originally posted by hawk58man View Post
                      Thanks,its always those little things that you learn after you buy it,. Has anyone ever tried an aftermarket hot rod type harness?? My Hawk was hot rodded in the 60's so it will never be correct in the word,but it is all will be all studebaker. I have a problerm with the harnesses heating up,and to not have fuses in the systems is against all I was every taught.That you always had fused circuits to protect your studebakers. I really don't want to finish this and loose it do to a fire..
                      I've done a couple of hot rods with kits like this http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-prod...at=Wire%20Kits. All the wires are labeled and the installation is pretty straight forward. Be sure to solder your connections to save future issues.

They are also less expensive than custom harnesses.

There a many posts if you search but I'll save you some work with the above link.

Bob

Comment

Glad your feeling better. Take it easy!!!

Comment

Bob good information on wiring harness. I added it to my list of site. I noticed a harness called or for sunbeam alpine tiger. My 1st running car was a 69 sunbeam alpine gt coupe . Good memories it has been quite a while since I thought about that car.

Comment

Also take a look at EZ Wire. Good price if you check around and a nice product which is quite easy to install. Also had very good help from their techs when needed. I used their 21 circuit harness which gives one some extra circuits which might be useful at a later time. I have a new one waiting to go into the new project.

Comment

wiring harness for 58 hawk/windshield

Thanks for the sites for the harnesses and EZ Wire,will be checking them out appreciate the info , and Bob ,I will pull up that site .Soldering everything is the bestway.Simple is better,and good tech support is what you need when you run into a problem and there a phone call away. K-Hawk hope your project is coming along well.Will let you know on those sites..

Comment

Working...
                              X