Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Old PS Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old PS Fluid

I found that the PS fluid reservoir has extremely dirty and smelly fluid.....should be after 40+ years. What's the best way to flush the system ?

I know what a pain it is to disconnect the lines on the cylinder and control valve, so if it were me, I think I'd suck out all the old stuff from the reservoir and disconnect the return line. Plug the return line connection in the tank, add new fluid, and with the coil wire unplugged, crank the engine over while catching the old stuff coming from the return line. Turning the steering wheel at the same time will help evacuate the old stuff from the cylinder. I guess you could let thte engine fire up but I bet there'd be oil squirting out big time.

Comment

BTDT.. .yes with the engine running it will come out pretty fast but you can catch it in a bucket. another idea would be to put a magnet in the reservoir, to catch any metallic debris and keep it from circulating

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The fluid in my power ram was black.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Hey! It's a black car
          You're color coordinated....
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

The fluid in my power ram was black.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good point ... I didnt think of it that way!

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I find that radio duo to be incredibly funny about three or four times in half an hour. The rest of the time they are incredibly irritating as they try desparately to search for any joke a call could provide. But, as with most shows...comedy is a tough business[}]...
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

"Click and Clack" discussed this topic on NPR (National Public Radio) during the convention weekend, on the radio. They are on-line too...............Brad
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

"Click and Clack" discussed this topic on NPR (National Public Radio) during the convention weekend, on the radio. They are on-line too...............Brad

Comment

Tom mentioned the oil being black, anyone remember from maybe 15 years ago the motor oil that had graphite mixed in with it? It was grayish black from the get go. Can't seem to recall who made it, was it Phillips or Mobil??

Comment

But .. oddly it was only the oil in the ram that was black, I guess it
                    makes sense since its the lowest point, but it was kinda odd.

Tom

Comment

If you think about it, barring a leak, the oil in the cylinder isn't going to be circulated through the system but rather it will be displaced back and forth when turning.

Comment

Working...
                      X