No announcement yet.

55 commander

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: 55 commander

    Is this piece a part of the inner fender or is this what SI calls the front fender air deflector?
    The part isn't in very good condition but I don't know if it is replacable as a patch panel/sheet metal or to just try and patch it up. Its the pieces on the left and right of the radiator with the hood bumpers attached to them. Its on a 55 commander 2dr hardtop. I'm trying to get the under the hood section completed while my engine is out and being rebuilt. thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	rs radiator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1734554

  • #2
    Why not give them a call, but it is unlikely a "front fender air deflector" is what you want. They do sell fibreglass "air deflectors" that are the bottom scoop. It is the long, side to side piece, that attaches to the fenders at the front and goes just in front of the radiator that you can see below the bumper. (the part you hit first on a parking lot curb bumper.)

    Many 1955s have holes in the piece you have shown, and it is unique to 1955 coupes and hardtops. I am not sure if the sedan piece would fit. ( the centre chrome grill is common to both the sedan and HT and coupe for 1955). (The chrome sides with the parking lights are different.)

    At one point, air deflectors (the sideways metal "pocket" that goes behind the chrome side pieces) were available. I am not sure if they still are.

    Good luck
    Last edited by 55s; 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM.