Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Warning! Raybestos BH4900

Hi fellows,

First of all I'd like to wish you a happy new year with a lot of (s)miles in your Studes.
    I've just received some braking parts from Rockauto for my 63 GT Six. Everything is from Raybestos. Though made in China, the parts looks fine. Nevertheless the front hoses are not the right ones (wrong fittings, wrong length). Please note that Raybestos BH4900 can't fit the cars with 3/16" pipes. Hope this may avoid the same problem to somebody else.
    sigpic

'Don't have any interchange numbers handy, but did they substitute disc-brake-application hoses....or you have disc brakes and the hoses are for drum? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Don't bother for the interchange. Meanwhile, I have discovered that these hoses are carbon copies of what we have on SIMCA P60. These can be found easily. BH 4900 is the only front brake hose reference for 63-64 Hawks at Rockauto's or Raybestos. They don't difference drums and discs. Well, just an other catalog mess...
      sigpic

Comment

When buying brake hoses, they ALL MUST have a date on the hose! (at least for the last 2-3 years) That shows how long ago they were made! I "think" the latest spool of hose that I received is dated either September or October 2011. Even the "new" hose's from parts have "older dates" The last hose's that I bought were almost 18 months old at the time!! I now make them myself, and they are MUCH more pliable, and softer. Once I make a brake hose, I pressure check them to 3200 psi for 25 seconds, DOT regulations is a minimum of 1500 psi. I am double the minimum!
        I also have a registration number from the DOT- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
        I will also be able to make up (in the near future) braided stainless lines that ARE DOT approved.
        For anybody coming to the International Meet in South Bend this year, Bring in your old hose, and I will be making them up on the spot! Any car any year.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

I will not be going to the show but are you saying we can contact you and you will make brake hoses we need.

Comment

YES I can! If I do not have the hose in my book, send me you old one, and I can duplicate it. I can do any make or model.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Here's what BH4900 fits: NO GT Hawks!!

1938 - 1940 Studebakers (no model given)
              1941 - 19435 1 1/2 ton trucks & 2 ton & up
              1950 -1953 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks

Also used on other makes and models, as late as 1972 Dodge P300 (not sure what that is, truck maybe?)

But no wheres close to 1963's !!!

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Luckily for me, Studebaker used a LOT of the same hose's and hose ends! I don't need to stock a bunch of slow movers!! <G>

Jim

their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                  Here's what BH4900 fits: NO GT Hawks!!

1938 - 1940 Studebakers (no model given)
                  1941 - 19435 1 1/2 ton trucks & 2 ton & up
                  1950 -1953 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks

Also used on other makes and models, as late as 1972 Dodge P300 (not sure what that is, truck maybe?)

But no wheres close to 1963's !!!

Jim
                  Thank you very much for the info Jim. Rockauto's site says that BH 4900 goes from 38 to 64 but the info has obviously been furnished by Raybestos. According to the diameter (1/4 ") and the nut fixation, I thought it was for older cars.

Nice day to all.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X