Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hood to body rubber seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood to body rubber seal

I want to install the hood-to-body(cowl) rubber seal on ny
    Hawk but I'm not sure of placement. the pic shows a dry fit.
    should the seal be in this position (it would seem so from
    the location of the old nail/screws) or should it lay
    right up against the that edge to the right in the picture? Hopefully someone out there has the answer. Tks,

Joe D.

quote:Originally posted by valleyguy

I want to install the hood-to-body(cowl) rubber seal on ny
    Hawk but I'm not sure of placement. the pic shows a dry fit.
    should the seal be in this position (it would seem so from
    the location of the old nail/screws) or should it lay
    right up against the that edge to the right in the picture? Hopefully someone out there has the answer. Tks,
    Joe D.

IMHO, that repro'ed seal pictured above should have its longest portion laid up along the lower edge and of course, centered right-to-left to re-install those 2 drive screws an equal distance from the seal ends. BTW, wasn't there tri-angular shaped "anti-squeak" rubber pieces attached to the cowl ends just below the cowl seal ends in your pic.?

Comment

A1956oldenHawk; I'm not following.... what do you mean by
      the "longest portion" This seal, has a "fat part" which the hood
      closes on and a lower channel for (I assume) channelling water
      off. In it's present position, which way does it need to move? towards the windshield?, If I move it all the way towards the windhield, then the old screw holes will be exposed (you can see one of them peeking out below the seal); there were no triangular
      shapes seals when I disassembled the car... Is this something
      that I need to add? Tks,
      Joe D.

Comment

Seal should be to forward edge; screws are centered through seal. I'm waiting to install mine until the final paint. The seal will hide the tape line between the body and engine compartment.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks rockne10, that's what I assumed based on the location
          of the screws; I too planned to wait for final paint but I could also install it now; I painted
          the firewall and little up on the cowl as you can see, which
          sould make it easy to blend the paint. Do you have a
          recommendation as to the type of adhesive? Tks,

Comment

I use 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive (it's available in black or yellow). Follow the directions and you'll have a hard time moving it from its first position.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
            X