Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

51 commander 56 hawk chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 commander 56 hawk chassis

Would the frames and front suspension of a 51 Commander and 56 Powwerhawk be the same or very similar?

In one word, NO. The 51 wheel base is 115in, The Hawk is 120in. Any thing can be made to work but it may not be pratical. Which frame do you need?
    Klif

55 Speedster
    55 Speedster/Street Machine
    63 Avanti R2
    64 Convertible R1

Comment

Actually I [u]was</u> contemplating swapping a S-10 chassis under my Powerhawk and I know of successful swap with a Commander.

I am now thinking the best bet would be to build the car stock first(it needs everything). This recommendation (believe it or not) came from local Hot Rod shop that makes their money doing swaps like this.

Comment

And a "little bird" told you also ...[:I]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by azopelnut

Actually I [u]was</u> contemplating swapping a S-10 chassis under my Powerhawk and I know of successful swap with a Commander.

I am now thinking the best bet would be to build the car stock first(it needs everything). This recommendation (believe it or not) came from local Hot Rod shop that makes their money doing swaps like this.
        '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Actually I think you can swap *most* front end parts between the two, just not the frames themselves. The upper A-arms are different however; the '51 will have steel inner bushings (like the outers) while all the later cars will have rubber, but if you swap them as an assembly they will work. The brakes are not the same however and the '56 are significantly better.

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Amazing old Studebaker(1956 Powerhawk)
            After sitting 20+ years I
            1) flushed the engine with diesel
            2) cleaned the oil pump
            3) rebuilt the carter 4-barrel
            4) replaced the mechanical pump with a electic
            5) new plugs
            6) new filters (oil and fuel)
            it started and idled beautifully
            It even shifted...the brakes need a new master cylinder but before it was parked someone must have installed new shoes!

Comment

Some years back, I traded a Nash engine for a 57 Silver Hawk. The car was one that had been traded in on a new car and the dealer had just kept it on the back of his lot for 20+ years.
              Fresh oil, new plug wires and some fresh gas, fed from a can and the damned thing started right up and purred on all eight!
              I did have to put a kit into the WCFB since, primarily, the accelerator pump had dried and shrunk. After that and some added tranny fluid (automatic), I was able to move it under it's own power! Sometimes these old buggies surprize you and sometimes - when you THINK they oughta run easily - they give you fits![}]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Are you in need of a frame for a 1951 Commander?

ghcoe

Comment

Wow .. its the Oops car. I have always wanted to do a custom bullet
                  nose Stude ... but .. I got my hands full now.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                  '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                  Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                  I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
                  X