No announcement yet.

4 barrell carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Basically" what Jeff says...but it shouldn't take an overnight wait.
    Just do the steps as noted.....with one exception, bond/glue the "blockoff" to the gasket (NOT the manifold) with the coppercoat...then install the manifold.

Shouldn't take more than a hour, which includes any cleaning..!

Mike

Comment

all 4 are the same ,thanks- I picked up the 1430 today.

Comment

Just to be sure. I will cut a thin piece of metal the shape of the cross over port on the gasket and bond it to the manifold side of the gasket then install the gasket on to the manifold-tack coat of sealer and then put intake into place. thanks again.

Comment

What gasket are we using between the Carb & the intake manifold???
          I have a 1403 and a Studebaker Manifold #535661
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

I plan on putting a fiber gasket on the manifold then a 1\2 spacer plate then another fiber gasket between the carb and the plate. The plate has tapered holes which fit almost perfect to the size of the intake holes on the manifold. I will grind the 1/16 of an inch between the manifold and plate to create a smooth transition between throttle plates and intake. I also think the plate will help the linkage not hit the manifold and I won't need to grind it. I also am unsure about grinding the intake to make space for secondary throttle plates since they are larger than the current holes in manifold, another reason I choose the plate. I do think the kick down for the auto tranny will hit and need to be trimmed some.

Comment

thanks i will do this and dance I will

Comment

Still no # for spacer or gasket?
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
                  I have a 4 barrell studebaker intake manifold. I want to put an edeldbrock edl1403 on it. will I need to enlarge intake throats or will and addapter allow for throttlr plate clearence. I will send it out for a cleaning and a powder coat prior to instlation. Will this set up work. I want to install my cdi system at this time to hoping to improve daily drivablity what do you think, K-HAWK wants to be driving daill as soon as possible before it get to hot.
                  Last winter I converted all of my studes (except supercharged) to Edelbrock 1405 and or 1406, each needed 1/2" carb spacer and and 2 inch air cleaner spacer, all from Jeggs. Jeggs air cleaner night have worked but did not want it. At the same time return vapor line back to gas tank input was done. Stude Air cleaners had to be considerably modified and the 2 inch air cleaner spacer cut down to allow hood clearance. Wanted to keep as much Stude parts as possible. The 6 V car had to go with manual chock. The heat chock had to be cut off and sealed. So far the only problem has been that ugly red Edelbrock label on the front of the carb, otherwise it looks stock to most people but so far no more vapor lock or rebuilding AFB and WCFB's. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
                    Last winter I converted all of my studes (except supercharged) to Edelbrock 1405 and or 1406, each needed 1/2" carb spacer and and 2 inch air cleaner spacer, all from Jeggs. Jeggs air cleaner night have worked but did not want it. At the same time return vapor line back to gas tank input was done. Stude Air cleaners had to be considerably modified and the 2 inch air cleaner spacer cut down to allow hood clearance. Wanted to keep as much Stude parts as possible. The 6 V car had to go with manual chock. The heat chock had to be cut off and sealed. So far the only problem has been that ugly red Edelbrock label on the front of the carb, otherwise it looks stock to most people but so far no more vapor lock or rebuilding AFB and WCFB's. Ken, Deltaville, Va
                    Why did you use the 1405-6 carbs. I have a 1406 which was on my 259 and am wondering if it is too large and should be changed to the 1403? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                      Why did you use the 1405-6 carbs. I have a 1406 which was on my 259 and am wondering if it is too large and should be changed to the 1403? Just curious.
                      1405 and 1406 are 600 cfm, 1405 went in 6 volt car (54 commander) hence manual choke. 1406 in 12 volt. Some say this was overkill but have not have any performance problems. All are 289 cu. If I get another car will probably go 500 cfm, for cost savings. Ken, Deltaville, Va

Comment

Working...
                      X