Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Paging SweetOldBob and his steering rack setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Paging SweetOldBob and his steering rack setup.

How did your R & P conversion work out on your car?

I just put a SBC into my 1962 Lark and am on the fence about keeping the original Stude steering gear/linkage (and upgrading to a possible future Borgeson integral PS system) or 'biting the bullet' and going with something more modern. I'm specifically concerned about turning radius and bumpsteer. Note I'm an alignment/suspension tech by trade.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I'm not sure, but I think that "relic" sigline may have come from here ??
    http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...feature26.html

Have you ever created a "camber curve" to look for bump steer, roll steer, and allow improving suspension geometry?
    Not part of a standard alignment I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
      I'm not sure, but I think that "relic" sigline may have come from here ??
      http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/...feature26.html
      Increasingly, for those who want to get into the old-car hobby, the more compact machines of yore are an easy and efficient entry. Not only are the dimensions more in line with today's machines (and parking lot lines at the local strip mall), but you still get the old-car feel and old-car style that has been completely engineered out of today's bubble machines. As a bonus, the right engine choice can net you respectable gas mileage--when a full tank is running a young wallet north of $60 or $70 a fill-up, it's not a foolish notion to consider.
      From the link you posted here. Frankly: the ca. 1957-77 fullsized and many 'midsized' cars were too big for me even back when they were new.

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
      Have you ever created a "camber curve" to look for bump steer, roll steer, and allow improving suspension geometry?
      Not part of a standard alignment I'm pretty sure.
      We don't get into much custom work at where I work: too much trouble for way too little money.
      Last edited by 1962larksedan; 12-25-2011, 12:06 PM.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        How did your R & P conversion work out on your car?

I just put a SBC into my 1962 Lark and am on the fence about keeping the original Stude steering gear/linkage (and upgrading to a possible future Borgeson integral PS system) or 'biting the bullet' and going with something more modern. I'm specifically concerned about turning radius and bumpsteer. Note I'm an alignment/suspension tech by trade.
        The R&P is from a late 90's Sunbird which I chose due to the narrow wheelbase so the rack was short. I did this before Jerry Forrester et. al. had posted so I just went to Google and read up on bump steer and other issues.

You'll notice that it is all bolted in and was the start of my experiment with R&P. I'd like to tell you it works great but I don't have enough data. I've driven it to shows and it steers, handles and turns fine but I've never driven it over 50 MPH. About the time I finished it, I got the Avanti Jones, sold my sports cars and street rods and put most of my time into them. If I were to do it again, I probably start with the R&P that Jerry used but some day in the future I'll get it back on the road for serious evaluation.

In any case, I used the short Avanti arms and modified the rack arms to take the Stude style ball joints and ended up with a turn radius like the original set up. It does leave a lot of room for headers etc.

If the bump steer is OK it will stay like this but just not enough data.

I'd like to be more help but just not enough info.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X