1955 259 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1955 259 engine

Hello Everyone. I would like to know which is the correct oil filter for my car. It is a 55 Commander sedan with the 259 V-8 2 bbl engine. Where would I find it? thanks in advance.

Doug

If U have an old one take it with U.Try a Tractor supply business,they are usually good for 6V lights & batteries also.Your shop manual should have one listed,have the business cross reference the #.They should be able to come up with something.Close enough should be good enough in this application.

Comment

Originally posted by doug55stude View Post
      Hello Everyone. I would like to know which is the correct oil filter for my car. It is a 55 Commander sedan with the 259 V-8 2 bbl engine. Where would I find it? thanks in advance.

Doug
      Does the engine have a canister on the top front of the engine? If so, it should be a Fram F-4. The correct filter cartridge is a Fram C-4 . Tractor Supply used to carry them, but I haven't found them there for a while now. Any auto parts store should be able to find either the Fram or a another make crossed to the C-4. Don't buy a C-4P. It's too tall for your canister. If your engine doesn't have the canister it means that it doesn't have an oil filter at all. If I remember right, oil filters were an option and not all cars had them.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As many were dealer installed, as was said above, you need to check and compare with your old one. They normally used F3's on the 6 cyl and F4's on the V8's but sometimes it came down to what the dealer had on the shelf. While yours should be an F4, if it was installed by the dealer it could be something different. My 47 Champ has a filter on it which is neither a F3 nor F4. It is a Chrysler filter and takes a Chrysler insert. The F3 took a Fram c3 filter which is also still around.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

If your engine does not have an oil filter can you just put 1 on? it looks like it just taps in to the pressure ports in the head?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I never stopped to think that the engine may not have an oil filter. I've never owned a classic car before that didn't have an oil filter. I know that it doesn't have one mounted on top of the engine. Where would be a good place to pick up an oil filter kit? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
              If your engine does not have an oil filter can you just put 1 on? it looks like it just taps in to the pressure ports in the head?
              Yes, but- you need to restrict the flow to the filter so you don't lose too much pressure!
              http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3...terorifice.txt
              Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X