1962 Lark Transmission & R/A options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1962 Lark Transmission & R/A options

A couple of weeks ago I asked about using a 3.07 RA in my 1962 Daytona with a 4-speed (it has a TT 3.73). After crawling under the car and looking at the transmission it appears I have the early 'Chevy' bolt pattern bell housing. Are their any other Stude transmissions that will bolt up to this bell housing or will I have to change it if I change the transmission? I'm exploring my options for getting the RPM's down on the highway.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

No other Stude trany will bolt up to that bell.

It would be the same bolt pattern as a Chevy T5 5 speed, however. I wonder if anyone has used a T5 with the Chevy bolt pattern bell? At a minimum you would need a pilot bearing adapter and perhaps some work on the Chevy pilot shaft.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

He would have to use a Chev. S 10 trans of the 90's. But would have to make a sleeve for the throw out bearing or use a hydraulic TOB. And change the pilot bearing.

Comment

I didn't think their was another Stude trans that would bolt up to that bell housing, Dick & Alan you've confirmed that for me. I think it would be easier and cheaper to dial-in a different bell housing and use a different Stude transmission rather than go with a modern transmission. At this point a 3-speed O/D is starting to looking good.

Joe
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

Has anyone ever used say a '56-57 transmission and bellhousing in a '59-64 Lark? There are many of those trannies available, but they don't match up with the later one-piece driveshaft. For instance, I've got a '56 bellhousing and T86 overdrive which is 12v and would physically bolt up.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I'd say keep the 3.73 TT and change the transmission to a T86 overdrive 3 speed with a different bell housing. The overdrive came with that R/A ratio I think, and that would be the same sort of net result as a straight shift 3 speed with 3.31 A floor shifter would be a nice change to do rather than putting in a column with a shifter. I'm thinking that opting for a lower R/A such as a 3.54 or 3.31 with a 4 speed would have the twin disadvantages of losing your existing TT and make it a tough slog from a stop, especially uphill while not really gaining much lower RPMS on the highway. Some of you folks who are more knowledgeable might be able to throw out some RPM figures for some of the possibilities with more confidence than me.

Don't overlook getting tires as "high" (in diameter) as the original tires because that will also help lower RPM. I find one size up or down from OEM makes a discernible difference on my modern daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
              I'd say keep the 3.73 TT and change the transmission to a T86 overdrive 3 speed with a different bell housing. The overdrive came with that R/A ratio I think, and that would be the same sort of net result as a straight shift 3 speed with 3.31 A floor shifter would be a nice change to do rather than putting in a column with a shifter. I'm thinking that opting for a lower R/A such as a 3.54 or 3.31 with a 4 speed would have the twin disadvantages of losing your existing TT and make it a tough slog from a stop, especially uphill while not really gaining much lower RPMS on the highway. Some of you folks who are more knowledgeable might be able to throw out some RPM figures for some of the possibilities with more confidence than me.

Don't overlook getting tires as "high" (in diameter) as the original tires because that will also help lower RPM. I find one size up or down from OEM makes a discernible difference on my modern daily driver.
              You're right that a 3.73 is common with an O/D V-8. The overdrive has a ratio of 0.70 to 1, making the 3.73 the equivalent of a 2.61 rear axle. I can switch the rear axle to 3.07 gears and keep the twin-traction (a 3.07 & 3.73 use the same carrier) but with a close ratio 4-speed it would be a dog off the line.

Joe
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                No other Stude trany will bolt up to that bell.

It would be the same bolt pattern as a Chevy T5 5 speed, however. I wonder if anyone has used a T5 with the Chevy bolt pattern bell? At a minimum you would need a pilot bearing adapter and perhaps some work on the Chevy pilot shaft.
                I do believe the 3 speed with overdrive from a 65 or 66 car will fit and work that was special transmission that Studebaker used with the same wide bolt pattern as the early 4 speed, I do believe I still have one on the shelf if I didn't send it to Australia with the last load of cars.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I do believe the 3 speed with overdrive from a 65 or 66 car will fit and work that was special transmission that Studebaker used with the same wide bolt pattern as the early 4 speed,
                  Yes, the bolt pattern might be the same.

No, most Chevys have a shorter input shaft and a smaller pilot bearing diameter than does the Studebaker. If this is true, the transmission would require a custom longer pilot bearing.

Maybe, measure the transmission you have and report back.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                    I do believe the 3 speed with overdrive from a 65 or 66 car will fit and work that was special transmission that Studebaker used with the same wide bolt pattern as the early 4 speed, I do believe I still have one on the shelf if I didn't send it to Australia with the last load of cars.
                    If I can slide it in to the existing bell housing as is (if the input shaft & bolt pattern are the same) then I'm definitely interested, that would simply things for me. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    Last edited by irish; 12-23-2011, 06:00 PM.
                    sigpic

1962 Daytona
                    1964 Cruiser
                    And a few others

Comment

I have one of the early chevy pattern T-10's and I am looking for an appropriate V-8 bellhousing. If you remove yours, I would be interested in purchasing it or at least getting the casting number off of it.
                      Thanks!
                      Don Hart
                      dscth@swbell.net if you want to email me separately.

Comment

You will not need the casting number to identify one of these '61 and Early '62 4 Speed Clutch Housings that fit the Chevy Case Trans.

All you do is look for the round bolt extension sticking out there in space all by itself for the Lower Right Hand Trans. Bolt.

Most Housings have a flat machined surface the size and shape of the Trans. surface, with the center hole and FOUR threaded bolt holes, these only have THREE on the pad and one out there by itself.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Has anyone ever used say a '56-57 transmission and bellhousing in a '59-64 Lark? There are many of those trannies available, but they don't match up with the later one-piece driveshaft. For instance, I've got a '56 bellhousing and T86 overdrive which is 12v and would physically bolt up.

jack vines
                          I have installed a T85 OD truck tranny in a 62 GT. The T85 used in trucks thru 1964, is near identicle (externally) to 1957 and earlier T86; both are short tailed, with fixed yoke. All one needs to do is use a driveshaft with floating front yoke, like a Stude truck.

Comment

Working...
                          X