Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took The Plunge...........I am now prepared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Took The Plunge...........I am now prepared!

The hell with calling AAA for a boost .............

Purchased a 2000 peak amp 950 cca jump starter............this mutha is heavy at 40 lbs!

Now I can do battle with run down battery due to crank crank crank...........in an attempt to get the urine that passes for fuel to fire.

Add an electric pump at your gas tank and use it to fill your carb. It really makes starting much, much easier!

Comment

My BAB (Big-Ass Booster) is one of my favorite tools. It is one of those big battery chargers on wheels and does a 40-amp charge with a 200-amp boost and does both 6 and 12 volts. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        The hell with calling AAA for a boost .............

Purchased a 2000 peak amp 950 cca jump starter............this mutha is heavy at 40 lbs!

Now I can do battle with run down battery due to crank crank crank...........in an attempt to get the urine that passes for fuel to fire.
        I keep battery minders on all mine when the cars aren't being used- never had a cranking problem. Even without an electric pump you shouldn't have to crank so much that your battery runs down.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

agree...something else is wrong..

Comment

I won one of those "Eliminator" booster boxes at a car show. Unfortunately I'm still running 6 volt and the booster is 12. It has lots of other features, though: compressor, flashing lights, DC supply and a 110V AC supply. It came in handy when I ran out of gas and ran my battery down. I plugged my 6V charger into the AC dock and was good to go in a few minutes. The weigh alot, like Hawklover says, but they can get you out of a long walk!
            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Agree w/ Son O Lark, I've got a bunch of old stuff here and adding the electric pump makes life so much easier, they start like new...but some are junk...Airtex I've had good luck with, also Carter, but Facet is junk. In fact I just bought another Airtex to add to another car. If these cars sit for even a week, the gas evaps from the carb bowl thru the vent just enough to give trouble...and I'd rather not use ether. I'll soon be either electric or electric/mechanical all around.

Today's 'gas' (crapohol) takes its toll on the cheaper electric models and kills the diaphragms

Also pump the gas pedal to the floor to the floor twice once the electric has refilled the bowl helps a lot, get that accel pump to shoot a couple squirts of raw gas in there, then wait a minute for it to vaporize, then hit 'start'....what a diff...all because crapahol is basically fuel diluted with 10% filler.

I had to drill out the accel pump jets and stiffen the metering rod spring on a Carter WGD on my straight 8 Packard to give those hungry cyls enough to work with
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

If you do use a battery tender, don't forget to periodically check the fluid level, as long-term use will diminish fluid levels.
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Oh the car all right.........it's just that the f-ing fuel will not fire.........and the car sits...............then have to crank crank crank to fill the carb........by this time battery is :-(..........so I needed to jumper starter.......if this were 1965 no problem..todays fuel is not for Studebakers!

Comment

yea, bad GAS!..........
                    Last edited by showbizkid; 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM. Reason: Edited suggestions of profanity

Comment

I did not want bells & whistles...............purchased the Jump-n-start 950............plain 12 volts and that is all!

Comment

With all due respect................"BOLDERDASH".........how long would your battery last if you crank and it does not fire?

How much crankin ya think your great battery will do?...........I guarantee it dies in under 15 mins with constant crankin...........ya think i spent what I did if there was a better way?............and I also have a battery tender.....if this keeps up the Stude is going to be sold........gas will never ever get better........only worse..........:-(................thank the lord for starting spray.........
                        Last edited by showbizkid; 12-22-2011, 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited suggeestions of profanity

Comment

If you continue be "constant crankin" for 15 minutes, the battery is not the only thing that's going to give up. Your starter will be next. Get a inline elec pump and put it near the tank. Have you tried ethanol free gas? I use ethanol free premium in my 53. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Comment

This is a little off topic from the original post, but I have to say that I have never experienced the problem with today's gas that others speak of (fuel here...with a few exceptions...is 10% ethanol).

I've probably owned 30 or so collector cars over the last 10 years. Everything from early 50's to early 70's. I own 3 now. I DRIVE all my collector cars...including what others might call show cars. Every single one of them ran (runs) fine on today's gas. This is not to say they all did when I acquired them. Some needed diagnosing and repair before I could consider them a good, dependable driver. In no case, however, was today's gas a factor in a poor running problem.

There ARE a couple of things with todays gas that can create problems.

1. It doesn't age as well as gas "back in the day". If your car sits for any length of time, it is best to keep the tank full and add the proper amount of Stabil

2. Older fuel system soft parts (hoses, diaphragms, accelerator pumps, etc) are not fond of ethanol. However, any of these parts that have been made (at least) since 2003 when MTBE was replaced by ethanol nationwide will not be effected by ethanol. If you suspect you have any fuel system parts that could be affected by ethanol, they should be replaced (old fuel system parts should be replaced anyway for safety's sake).

3. Fuel economy with E10 is probably slightly less than ethanol free fuel. I doubt if we could actually measure the difference, however, in our collector cars.

One qualifier is that I live in a fairly moderate climate. It could be that if you live where there are extreme highs and lows that E10 has a bigger effect on your car. I did drive my MGB GT yesterday, however, and it was 29F. I have driven collector cars in Southern California, Arizona and en route on Americruise from LA to Lincoln, NE in summer with temps over 100F with no problems, and at elevations as high as 11,000' (Eisenhower Tunnel) with no problems.

I'm not saying my experience with today's gas is gospel, but I am suggesting that you may be mis diagnosing a problem if you just hang it on today's gas and don't dig a little deeper.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                              This is a little off topic from the original post, but I have to say that I have never experienced the problem with today's gas that others speak of (fuel here...with a few exceptions...is 10% ethanol). ...

...1. It doesn't age as well as gas "back in the day". If your car sits for any length of time, it is best to keep the tank full and add the proper amount of Stabil

2. Older fuel system soft parts (hoses, diaphragms, accelerator pumps, etc) are not fond of ethanol. However, any of these parts that have been made (at least) since 2003 when MTBE was replaced by ethanol nationwide will not be effected by ethanol. If you suspect you have any fuel system parts that could be affected by ethanol, they should be replaced (old fuel system parts should be replaced anyway for safety's sake). ...

...I'm not saying my experience with today's gas is gospel, but I am suggesting that you may be mis diagnosing a problem if you just hang it on today's gas and don't dig a little deeper....
                              I have started using Marine Formula Stabil- claims to address the ethanol problem and lasts longer than regular Stabil. That could be marketing hype- costs twice as much, but you use half as much so we'll see.
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X