No announcement yet.

Head lights - regular or halogen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Head lights - regular or halogen?

I just modified a spare set of headlight buckets from a 37 CE to use sealed beam
    12 volt head lights.
    Once I put these to use I would like them to last.

Should I use regular or sealed beam Halogen light bulbs?

Thanks

Paul

Originally posted by pszikszai View Post
    I just modified a spare set of headlight buckets from a 37 CE to use sealed beam
    12 volt head lights.
    Once I put these to use I would like them to last.

Should I use regular or sealed beam Halogen light bulbs?

Thanks

Paul
    Paul

I always use the newer brighter Halogens but you will need to power then off the battery with a relay controlled by the light switch. The normal wiring is probably not heavy enough for them unless the upgraded harness was built for them but much better light.

Bob

Comment

Ditto on the halogens, I put them in everything, but you do need to add a relay and wiring to support them (really easy). I found out the importance of that one dark night on the Blue Ridge Parkway when my headlights went off!
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Hi,

I've never been involved with a project like that, but the existing wiring should be able to power the halogens if the amperage that the halogens draws doesn't exceed the maximum amperage rating of the headlight circuit wiring. Do you know what amperage you're dealing with and what gauge wiring exists on the stock headlight circuit?

Mike O'Handley
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

I am using a modified later model CK wiring harness.
          I think they all use 16 gage wires for the head lights.
          I do not wish to get into the wire harness again.
          If I can't make that work the I will go with the old cnvetional 12 volt light bulb.
          Please advise.

Thanks

Paul

Comment

I recommend using the halogen bulbs as they are brighter than the tungsten filament bulbs and I agree that relays are a good idea. Bud

Comment

You don't have to cut into the wiring harness to power halogens. But instead of powering the headlights directly from the harness, you connect it to the relay -- to turn the relay on and off. Then run a separate, heavier wire from the battery or the hot side of the starter solenoid to the relay and from there to the headlights.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Halogens with a relay would be better than sealed beams. If you've upgraded your alternator and wiring harness, you might be able to do HID as well. (and believe me, I understand you not wanting to go into the harness again; I wish I had a nickel for every little change I've had to do bringing the Blue Bomber to the road...)
                Last edited by ralt12; 12-22-2011, 07:22 AM.
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

I like halogens, but keep in mind that without a relay setup, your wires may be able to handle the extra load, but your light switch becomes the weak point.
                  Last edited by 53k; 12-23-2011, 06:32 AM.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yep. Nice thing about using a relay is it reduces the current through the headlight and dimmer switches and the circuit breaker. It's the circuit breaker that caused me to have that exciting drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Once putting in a relay there were no more problems.

I bought an inexpensive kit with a breaker and some wiring that was designed to be used with driving lights, it was inexpensive and easy to install.
                    Jeff DeWitt
                    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Unless he has replaced the wiring with the lighter guage usual for 12 volt systems the original 6 volt wiring should be more than enough. I personally have used halogen bulbs in my cars for over 20 years now & have not had one failure. The amperage draw has been a topic before but I have never seen real figures comparing one from another.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I've always ran halogens in all of my 12V Studes. Never had a single issue.

Comment

The halogen bulbs draw slightly more current than the tungsten filament bulbs, if the electrical system is in good shape, there shouldn't be a problem, but I still recommend using relays to reduce the load on the headlight and dimmer switches. Bud

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1671487Click image for larger version

Name:	37CE4DoneFront.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1671490Click image for larger version

Name:	37CE4DoneRF3.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1671491Thank you all.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	c.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1671488Going with halogen.Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1671489

Paul
                            Last edited by pszikszai; 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                              Unless he has replaced the wiring with the lighter guage usual for 12 volt systems the original 6 volt wiring should be more than enough. I personally have used halogen bulbs in my cars for over 20 years now & have not had one failure. The amperage draw has been a topic before but I have never seen real figures comparing one from another.
                              Same experience here. But I agree the relay is a good idea. I have even bought a couple, but have not gotten round to installing them yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X