Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Column to floor shift conversion in 1954 Studebaker Champion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Column to floor shift conversion in 1954 Studebaker Champion ?

Just sold a very nice restored six cylinder 1954 Studebaker Champion to a gentleman who will complete painting it, installing an interior. It will use the 1956 Golden Hawk fin and trim package with matching hubcaps and wsw radials.

THE QUESTION.....is there a three speed floor shift conversion available on the six cylinder trans from the column ? If so, any information is appreciated.
    Attached Files

you sold it with a matching cat?

there are lots of floor shift threads on here if you do a search. There is no specific kit with all the right lengths and bends, and it makes a difference in the steps needed, if the Champion has O/D
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
      Just sold a very nice restored six cylinder 1954 Studebaker Champion to a gentleman who will complete painting it, installing an interior. It will use the 1956 Golden Hawk fin and trim package with matching hubcaps and wsw radials.

THE QUESTION.....is there a three speed floor shift conversion available on the six cylinder trans from the column ? If so, any information is appreciated.
      Here is a picture of my Gt with the same fins,

Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

There are numerous references on V8 column to floor shifter (hurst) conversions. I have searched for same on six cylinder and have come up empty. From John P's reply....am I to deduct the procedure is the same for both with different lengths and procedures ....depending ?

Comment

Hi, Mike,

You have a PM.

Short answer, yes. Just cut a hole in the floor, bend and cut the brackets and shifter rods fit the T96 with overdrive and you are good to go. Not hard for someone who has done it before. Maybe a little harder for a first effort. FWIW, I'd pull the tranny, put it on a bench and build it out where the bends for the shifter rods are obvious.

Back in the day, the kits came with a multi-page instruction sheet with paper templates for the necessary bends in the shifter rods. Today, you are pretty much on your own trying to figure what it takes to make everything fit.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

SI have some 3 speed floor shift transmissions that Studebaker used on the Lark type Taxis. Don't know if they would fit.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The taxis used T90s IIRC. They are basically T86 trannys with straight cut first gear, bigger than the T96. The T96 has a 4-bolt top cover, and the T86/T90 has a 6-bolt top cover.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Way back when I was in college, my brother traded for a 1955 Starliner Champion, three-speed with overdrive. It had been converted to a floor shift, but someone had stolen all of the floor-shift equipment. My brotherbought a couple of broken ratched handles at a surplus store and tack-welded them to the forks on the side of the transmission. The stuck up through the hole that had already been cut. My brother simpley got a boot and stretched it over them.
                Of course, I had to have this pretty red car, so when I went back to school on Sunday, I was driving the '55. I amazed everyone at school by changing the gears, especially with the overdrive. With a little shifting theatrics and the overdrive, I convinced everyone that is was a six-speed. The fact that I had driven a Mack with a duples transmission helped me with my flourishing of the two shifter sticks.
                Anyway, that is a simple way to convert and a lot of fun.

Comment

Vern Ediger has a top load shfter mechanism from an Intermational Scout that will work in that application. I used one on a T96 od trns that had been swapped into an M5.
                  Kim
                  Vern's #316-215-1166

Comment

I used a LOKAR floor shift in my 56 Skyhawk. Love it !. Mine is a cable attachment that allows location of floor mounting to vary, but they make several types.

Comment

RickJ....The conversion is for a manual shift, not an automatic. Lokar markets automatic shifters. They show no manual shifters, just a shift rod accessory for manual trans.

Comment

Sorry,my bad

Comment

Working...
                        X