Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

O.D. Disassembly Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: O.D. Disassembly Help

I got a Shop Manual for the '59-'60 Studes on ebay--it was a used, original manual in great shape, and not a reprint. The engine we're working with is a '59, and I figured the manual would help me rebuild the 3-speed T86E O.D. trans as well. So I got it, but evidently the T86E I have is a little older than '59. The manual talks about removing the Welch plug, but there doesn't appear to be a Welch plug on this O.D.

Can anybody help me figure out how to disassemble it?
    Here I'm splitting it from the main case.
    And in the second picture I've got it separated.

(edit) for some reason the system won't let me post the second picture, even though it's the same size. I'll try in the next post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	1734493
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
    Robert Rausch

Here's the second picture of the O.D. unit separated from the main case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	140432520.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1671425
    1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
    Robert Rausch

Comment

Are you trying to remove the tail housing? The yoke or what. Here's mine as I was rebuilding, if this is any help.

Comment

I've already got the yoke off. I'm trying to disassemble the O.D. unit to examine it and to replace the bearings. Any hints on how it comes apart?
        Robert Rausch

Comment

You remove the Snap Rings, that part should not be much different than the Long Tail Trans. for 1958 to 1966 Models as shown in your '59 Shop Manual.

This Trans. is for a '51 to '57 Car with a bolted Yoke & a TWO piece Driveshaft, so it will not work in a '58 to '66 with a slide-in Driveshaft.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich. This O.D. trans is going into a '49 3/4 ton Studey pickup along with a '58 259. I've got a T86E top-loader type floor-shift for the trans (off of a Jeep), so it should be a pretty neat swap. We have a '49 donor truck that has a bolt-on driveshaft, and the original '49 also has a similar driveshaft, so we may have to take it to a driveshaft shop and have one shortened or one lengthened, but we're gonna get this truck restored and running really well.

I'll give it another look tomorrow for snap rings. The Shop Manual talks about removing the Welch plug in order to get to a positioning ring for one of the bearings. But I don't know what a Welch plug is--but it looks like this O.D. unit doesn't have one, whatever it is. Anyone know what a Welch plug is?
            Robert Rausch

Comment

Ain't the Internet wunnerful? I just did a google search for Welch plug and came up with lots of results including this one:
              "Welch plug" might be an expression that isn't used in the United States (like spanner/wrench). A "Welch plug" is a small solid disc with a dish shape which is used to seal the hole in a case where it's been drilled, etc.
              Robert Rausch

Comment

If you were to go looking for a welch plug, try thinking small freeze plug.....they are the same thing, but a welch plug holds back fluid other than water.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I still can't seem to find one on this OD unit. But there's a bit of grease on it. I'll try again tomorrow.
                  Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
                  X