Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Side pipes

Need Opinions please..

60' Lark V8 Wagon. has anyone out there installed Lakes or Patriot side pipes? I really like the look of the small diameter pipes popular in the 50's. What I'm finding is there non muffled, just straight pipes.. Can one buy this style of side pipe with some type of muffler system or are not as loud as I think they would be?
    Thanks..

Ever burn the skin off the back of your calf, or the side of your ankle?
    Or worse... Your bride/girlfriend/significant other?
    Just curious...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ummmm.. no.. Good things to consider though. The way the rocker skirts curve inward.. I was thinking the pipes would be out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by lark-o-rama View Post
        I was thinking the pipes would be out of the way.
        Set up a tripod with a video camera on top and film yourself getting in and out of
        the car repeatedly, and perhaps your wife as well. Then see what you find. It is
        an amazing thing how "out of the way" things end up in the way ....

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Here is a link to Patriot side pipes that can accept mufflers. Remember they get even hotter when there is an restriction in the pipes.

These ones are nice because they have a nice heat shield, so now the burn will just take good first aid care and not skin grafts like the unshielded ones....lol

Comment

When I was growing up we had a Neighbor three doors down the block who had a '53 Ford V-8 Country Squire Wagon, it had a great sounding set of pipes that I believe were straight through. But they went up both rear corners of the Wagon like Trucker pipes, with Overdrive it sounded cool decelarating down the Street.

Stude. Content: It got replaced though, when Dad sold him a New '59 Lark VIII Regal 2 Dr. Wagon with Overdrive, it was stock so it didn't sound as good!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone.. No side pipes for me.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Just curious...
                I've got a big ol' scar on my left calf from a Cobra side pipe from several years ago...

If you are going to do them, do them as "dummies" and don't route exhaust through them.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Just curious...
                  I got a pretty sore hand from the burn I received swinging out of my son's '79 Corvette with side pipes.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I've had a set of Thrush side pipes on my 69 El Camino for years. Never had a problem with burns but they are tucked under the rockers. With side pipes it is just like real estate it's all about location.

Comment

AH-heck, just wear motocross boots and the burns won' be a problem. hee hee

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                        AH-heck, just wear motocross boots and the burns won' be a problem. hee hee
                        Not real easy to operate the pedals and not super comfortable to walk around a restaurant or the car show in....been there done that....I have ridden dual sports all over the state and not even taken other shoes....my boots are comfy, for MX boots, but still not comfy for daily use.

Comment

My Uncle had them on his little Olds F85 convertible in the early 60's. They were muffled and had a chromed heat shield over them. As I recall, they were some kind of glaspak muffler and they made the sweetest sound going down the road.

Mike O'Handley
                          Kenmore, Washington
                          hausdok@msn.com
                          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                          Kenmore, Washington
                          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                          '69 Pontiac Firebird
                          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys..

Comment

I got a set of truck steps that are 4" OD. Small "Cherry bombs" fit right in them with about an 1/8th to spare. I plan to wrap the mufflers in heat shield then run pipes insdie the pipes for a ways before going into the big pipe. Will look like stright pipes but have a muffler but hopefully be a bit cooler. I agree that properly tucked under the rocker you'd have to try to get your leg on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X