Update Avanti R1001 and R 1002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Update Avanti R1001 and R 1002

Avanti R 1001 is now in Spokane with the "old" paint being removed by the soda blasters. This weekend it should be moved to Ron Hochhalters shop for body repairs and paint. R 1002 is under restoration at Gary Johnsons shop in Tacoma. HAPPY AVANTI HOLIDAYS!! Lou Cote

Who is doing R 1002? Is it being done by an individual or a museum?
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Goood stuff

Thanks for the update Lou. I'd like to hope there will be updates on the drivetrain sometime soon. Very cool to hear of Gary and #1002. I wonder what the odds are that he will have that one done in time for the LeMay open house?
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
        Who is doing R 1002? Is it being done by an individual or a museum?
        I have a note that R-1002 is owned by Dave Kinney, Great Falls, VA... The car is on the West Coast however...
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

R1002 is owned by an individual who is having Avanti Northwest in Tacoma, WA restore it. I do not know if it is Mr. Kinney.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I got a box full of stainless for 1001 yesterday. Now to make it shiny!

Comment

I visited R1001 Tuesday shortly before the soad blasting began.

We've all see photos of the car...but in person it's 10 times worse. The paint was well applied, but it made your eyes bleed.
              Huge shiney metal flake...it reminded me of something you'd see on a drum set or a bar stool circa 1958....or perhaps a "Kustom" from the same period.
              There were some chips laying around, so I brought some home...as I said, you won't believe it.

To give some scale..the long piece on top is 1 1/8" and the bottom edge of the triangle on the bottom is 3/4"...so huge flakes.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by JBOYLE; 12-15-2011, 07:47 PM.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Mr Boyle, could you take picture/s of R 1001 after soda blasting is completed? pryor to it leaving for Hochhalters body shop. Inquiring minds want to know/see the progress thar is being made. CAN member Lou Cote

Comment

Originally posted by dynolou2 View Post
                  Mr Boyle, could you take picture/s of R 1001 after soda blasting is completed? pryor to it leaving for Hochhalters body shop. Inquiring minds want to know/see the progress thar is being made. CAN member Lou Cote
                  It depends upon when it leaves the shop.
                  I'm busy today...
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                  X