Left-handed lug nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Left-handed lug nuts

Did Studebaker ever utilize left-handed lug nuts on their cars? If so, know which years and or models? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
    Did Studebaker ever utilize left-handed lug nuts on their cars? If so, know which years and or models? Thanks, CarCrosswordDan
    Yes all models up until 58 or 59 then all rights after this.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Russ, do you mean "ALL" years and all models? Even back to their earliest cars? Thanks, Dan

Comment

My 1932 Stude has left hand threads on the driver side. IIRC, they are 9/16-18 thread.

Comment

The thing started when the axle nut on the left side kept unscrewing due to friction of the turning hub. So they put left hand threads on that side. When they went to mounted hubs, they continued until some wise engineer realized there wasn't any friction on the lug nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
            The thing started when the axle nut on the left side kept unscrewing due to friction of the turning hub. So they put left hand threads on that side. When they went to mounted hubs, they continued until some wise engineer realized there wasn't any friction on the lug nuts.
            you never know where you'll find these L/H lug nuts. A friend of mine calls me a few years ago (actually his wife did he was to embarrassed he couldn't get the wheel off) he was trying to change the tire on his tent trailer. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't get the bolt (bolt instead of nut) off. I show up with my biggest breaker bar and cheater pipe kneel down to take a look and they're is a big "L" on the bolt hehehehe. He was rather embarrassed.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Not that it pertains in the least to Dan's original question but, I have twenty-three Freightliners in the fleet; newest is 2009. All have left threads on the left lugs.
              Dan is putting together puzzles based upon the trivial facts associated with the automotive world.
              I appreciate the fact that he is including Studebaker in his process.

Have at it, Dan. I can't answer many questions but will when I can.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

rockne10, appreciate your feedback. Although I am doing the puzzles, my recent interest has been centerted around Studebaker. I met some folks with the SDC of Northeast Texas. Nice folks & nice cars. Kind of locked in on a '56 Sky Hawk, '57 Golden "400", '63 Lark Daytona Conv. or a '64 GT Hawk. The R/1's and R/4's garner my attention completely. so far I've built 4 puzzles centering on Studes. Done about 100 others for different makes, and another 100 or so centered around assorted car factoids and other subjects such as Golf and Gulfstream Aircraft. Thanks, Dan

Comment

MY '48 M-16 did not have LH studs on it originally but, I am putting them on to be different. Neal

Comment

Working...
                  X