Journal diameters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Journal diameters?

I have my service manual for my '49 2R10, but of course it does not cover any V8 motors since they never came in a 2R truck. I am installing a '63 289 full flow motor. I am going to pick up Warrens engine rebuild manual soon, but I am ordering a rebuild kit and I need to know the specs for the crank Main and Rod bearing journals so I can check it to see A) if it needs a turn, B) if it has been turned.

Anyone know the journal diameter min/max specs?

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/473.cfm
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

If you're going to rebuild the engine yourself, you'll want to get a later car Shop Manual with all the V8 pictures and data. IIRC, for non-R-engines, they're pretty much the same from '56-64.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Hockster you are the man. Those specs were good news. I just mic'd all of the journal and the are STD. and well withing spec and round.

Same with the bore, taper and diameter were great and the pistons have very little wear on the ribbing marks on the skirts of the pistons. This motor is in great shape and I kind of regret even opening it now.

A buddy talked me into changing the bearings since I am in there already. Good point I guess. So I just ordered a complete engine minor overhaul kit from SI.
        $560.00 and that is all of the gaskets, seals, rings, main and rod bearings, oil pump kit and pressure valve and spring kit, and a few other bits. So now it is just little more clean up and hone, then put him back together and paint him up...if only I could figure out what I want to do with that now.

This news should at least calm down some of you CASO haters a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          If you're going to rebuild the engine yourself, you'll want to get a later car Shop Manual with all the V8 pictures and data. IIRC, for non-R-engines, they're pretty much the same from '56-64.

jack vines
          Thanks Jack. I am going to borrow Warrens manual. We need to get together soon anyway. Good excuse as any to hang out with my bro.

edit: PS: I am meeting with Warren at his house on Tuesday to hang out and pick up his engine manual. I may even try to talk Warren into stopping by on assembly day for experienced help.

Baby steps, but steps every day.
          Last edited by kmac530; 12-12-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            $560.00 and that is all of the gaskets, seals, rings, main and rod bearings, oil pump kit and pressure valve and spring kit, and a few other bits.
            Did you get new cam bearings?
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Yes they come with the kit I ordered.

Why do you have a new R2 cam for me to slip into the new bearings? How much?

Comment

An E4 regrind from Iskenderian is basically the same as an R1/R2 cam and was less than $100 on your old cam for the last one I bought from them.

jack vnes
                PackardV8

Comment

Jack, or anyone, Is it safe to run the E4 grind with a stock fiber cam gear or do I need to get an aluminum?

Isky is exactly 2.3 miles from my mom and dads house. I think I can find it since I grew up in that house since 1970....been around there before...lol

Comment

Working...
                  X