Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T86 trans and a truck bell housing fit a 51 champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T86 trans and a truck bell housing fit a 51 champion?

We have a 51 champion with the T96 trans . We want to install a T86 trans as it is heavier duty, as we are redoing the 6 with more power. We found a trans and bell housing out of a pickup with the overhead 6. The bell housing is about 2 inches longer than the car bell housing. Will the truck one fit without modifing the floor boards? We have heard that the 47-50 champions had a t86 with a champion bell housing and the shorter input shaft like the t-96. Any one have one of these?
    Thanks David and Shane

any one have one of

The problem with the truck bellhousing is that it does not have the rear motor mount like a passenger car. You would have to custom make a rear mount. And if it is a V8 housing you will have to find a support plate off a 7 or 8 E5. Those are made of unobtainum.

Comment

I've fought that battle from the other direction, a truck with a car bellhousing, and believe me it's MUCH easier with the right parts!

Keep something in mind though, I believe the T96 was used on some V8 cars. If it was strong enough to stand up to that it will stand up to your warmed up six.
      Jeff DeWitt
      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Yes , much easier with the right parts, so anyone have them? champion 6 to T86 trans? Distance between vertical bolts is about 6 inches, instead of 4 for the T96. As for a T96 being strong enough, I understand if you gave them much bigfoot at all, the champion 6 had no trouble taking out 1st gear. I think the 86 was standard for the 8's, with the golden Hawks and some trucks having the even stronger T 85 thanks David

Comment

I could be wrong, as I have only heard but not seen, that the Lark Taxis had a t86 that attached to the OHV 6. Might see if you could find one of those bell housings.

Comment

Working...
          X