Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with H.E.I. equipped Stude.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electrical: Need help with H.E.I. equipped Stude.

    Ok, now I, need some help here. I admit I am in unknown to me, territory here.

    I have a 1966 Studebaker Cruiser with the 283 GM Engine. It has been converted to a GM Delco HEI Distributor, which I know 0 about, not a GM Guy.

    The problem is I want to install New Plug Wires, but I want them to route the correct way that Stude. and probably early Chevelle 283, 327's with Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds did, clamped along the Oil Pan to keep them totally away from those top mounted Hot manifolds.

    But it is my understanding that if I buy them for the length required for a old '64 Chevelle, the length may? be good, but they will be 7mm, and I understand it is a requirement with an HEI, to have the newer 8mm type because of the increased Voltage.

    So what Plug Wires do all of you Modified owners use in this situation?

    I know very little about Chev./GM Engines, so please Help!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1734466
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

  • #2
    Well Rich, I cannot help you with your problem as I know as much as you do about this issue. However, I will gladly take that "terrible" Chevybaker off your hands to solve the problem for you.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

    Comment


    • #3
      Taylor plug wires #73051 from your FLAPS. Or from Summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-73051/
      These have the 90 degree ends for the plugs and they come with both types of ends for the dist., which you have to put on after cutting the wire to the correct length.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

      See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

      Comment


      • #4
        Rich, G.M. used a heavier 10 guage wire to power the coil pack on the HEI distributors so I would run a separate wire from the ignition switch to the coil to take care of it. On my 68 Le Mans I installed HEI & ran the 10 guage wire from the firewall connector to the distributor as GM did.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Ok, now I, need some help here. I admit I am in unknown to me, territory here.

          I have a 1966 Studebaker Cruiser with the 283 GM Engine. It has been converted to a GM Delco HEI Distributor, which I know 0 about, not a GM Guy.

          The problem is I want to install New Plug Wires, but I want them to route the correct way that Stude. and probably early Chevelle 283, 327's with Ram Horn Exhaust Manifolds did, clamped along the Oil Pan to keep them totally away from those top mounted Hot manifolds.

          But it is my understanding that if I buy them for the length required for a old '64 Chevelle, the length may? be good, but they will be 7mm, and I understand it is a requirement with an HEI, to have the newer 8mm type because of the increased Voltage.

          So what Plug Wires do all of you Modified owners use in this situation?

          I know very little about Chev./GM Engines, so please Help!

          [ATTACH=CONFIG]12662[/ATTACH]
          When I swapped in a Chevy 350 with HEI into my 1962 Lark (same platform as your car); I simply used a set of generic Chevy 90 degree spark plug boot wires, routed 'em under the manifolds and called it a day. Admittedly, I did make up small strips of metal and mounted them to the motor mount to block bolts to keep the front wires (1,3,2,4) away from the center dumps of the Rams Horns. For the '+' wire, I ran on directly of the 'On' terminal of the ignition switch.
          --------------------------------------

          Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

          Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

          "Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
            Admittedly, I did make up small strips of metal and mounted them to the motor mount to block bolts to keep the front wires (1,3,2,4) away from the center dumps of the Rams Horns.
            The wires for 1,3,2,4, get threaded between the motor mount and the block. There should be clips on the oil pan bolts to hold the wires in place down there and brackets on the back side of the block (right beneath the end of the heads) to retain the wires as they go around the back of the engine.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

            See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks very much Jerry and others for the tips, I checked out Summit's Website and found FINISHED exact fit 8mm wires:
              TAY-74001 that they say fits '65 Chevelle 283, but I am thinking that you used the unfinished one to get the longer length and get it more correct?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                but I am thinking that you used the unfinished one to get the longer length and get it more correct?
                Correct. I have never bought a pre-made set of ignition cables that fit as good as the ones that I cut myself.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

                See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Rich, the early Chevelles didn't use the "rams" horn manifolds, the Impalas and some pickups did. Now working with the GM HEI, the only combination that used both rams horns and HEI was the Corvette, so if you want a premade set that should fit the bill. Somewhere between 1974 and 1980 models I believe. Lou Cote

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    Correct. I have never bought a pre-made set of ignition cables that fit as good as the ones that I cut myself.
                    Rich

                    I'm agreeing with Jerry here.

                    I purchased a set of premade Taylor wires for my 83 Avanti and while they fit a couple were too long and one was just long enough. I had to use several wire clamps to take up the slack and it is just not a neat job.

                    Needless to say, when the SBC goes into the 74 it will have the wires from a universal kit. Just be sure you get the die for attaching ends in the kit.

                    Bob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Rich, you are correct...run the wires along the block and under the exhaust manifolds. I went with a universal HEI kit from MSD that included a crimping tool that worked quite well. I choked on the price, but extremely pleased with the wires...top quality and they should last a long time. Previously went with cheaper Accel Super Stock wires...they were junk, and the sparkplug terminal ends rusted through in a few years...lesson learned, buy quality stuff for the ignition. I also used cool loom mounts that keep the wires from touching each other...also from MSD. Will try to find some photos later. Regards...Junior. ps, think HEI is a good choice, they're cheap to buy, have a nice hot spark, and have oem reliability.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by junior; 12-11-2011, 07:08 AM.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                        I'm agreeing with Jerry here. Just be sure you get the die for attaching ends in the kit.Bob
                        When you buy the wires, get a Taylor 43390 terminal installer tool. It's only about $12 and it'll last a lifetime.
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

                        See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X