Air Filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Air Filtration

When did Studebaker move away from oil-bath type air filters and toward paper element style air filters? Thanks, Dan

Originally posted by CarCrosswordDan View Post
    When did Studebaker move away from oil-bath type air filters and toward paper element style air filters? Thanks, Dan
    I have parts books only back to 1934, but every year lists both wet and dry air cleaners right up through 1964 (except for Avanti). Typically cars were shipped with either paper or oil-bath air cleaners were depending on their state destinations. Those going to what were considered dusty states got the oil bath. Other states got the paper. More states got oil baths than paper. My '53 Commander, built in California and sold in California, came with an oil bath. On the other hand, my Wagonaire came with a dry air cleaner and it was destined for Kansas. While the books don't show the wet air cleaners as optional, I suspect they were special order in the later years.
    Last edited by 53k; 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My '54, destination Forrest Hills NY, came with paper.
      Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I think it depended more on the destination of the sale. Dry, dusty climate areas (and Pittsburgh) got the oil bath. A better question would be, what year was the oil bath no longer an option.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
        X