60 Champ Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 60 Champ Dash

I need to replace the padded surface on the top of my 60 Champ Dash.

Is it easier to just remove the top plate or do I need to remove the entire dash to access the screws that hold the top plate?

Where are the secret, bet you can't find me fasteners located that will make this project not fun?

Merlin

I would just remove the small screws that secure the top of the dash to the body just below the windshield after removing the mouldings. Then unbolt the 2 bolts on each end of the main dash frame at the kick panels. Disconnect the Heater Temp. control cable, Parking Brake, Speedometer Cable, any aftermarket Oil Press. Gauge Line and O.D. Cable if equipped.

Then you should be able to disconnect all of the engine ends of all the wiring to allow moving the dash back at bit. Then you will have to decide if you will be able to access the fasteners that hold the dash top on from under the dash or not. You may find it easier to just finish the job and remove the whole works from the Truck.
    It's a nasty job but somebody has to do it, if you want the dash top recovered properly.

If you look around at upholstery suppliers or South Bend, you may be able to find some Silver (Chrome) piping to go around the dash face of the top Pad and get the correct white stitched and pleated low gloss Black Leather grained Vinyl Material.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-07-2011, 11:47 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, are you saying that the whole dash has to come loose to remove the top portion?

I guess I'll just live with the wrinkles in my padded dash.

Comment

When I had the dash top recovered on my 64 Champ, I removed the dash as it is easier to get at the screws along the bottom edge of the dash cover. I was having the truck painted at the same time, so the dash got a new coat of paint too along with lubing the wiper linkage and replacing the defroster ducts. It's kind of a pain to remove the wiring from the engine side of the firewall, but as Rich said, you will end up with a better job when you are finished. Bud

Comment

I took the dash pad out of my 63 Champ years ago without removing the dash. (I needed to keep the truck mobile). I drove it for several days without the dash pad in place. It can be done!!

Terry

Comment

It is quite easy to remove just the upper part for re-padding. Of course, remove the radio, the glove box lining, and the lower inner windshield molding. Then, there are four (If I remember correctly) screws at the top - behind the inner windshield molding - and 10 screws at the intersection of the upper and lower dash panel. They are fairly easy to access, except maybe one that is over the speedometer cluster. Then the upper part lifts right out.

Comment

Thanks for the guidance....
              My original plan was to just pop off the pad and re-cover it. But now that the rest of the truck is painted the painted dash looks a little scruffy and all things being equal, if it wasn't going to be a career job I was considering taking the whole thing out and refinishing it. I think you helped make the decision.

As you will note from the rear corner picture, I'm not going 100% original but unless you know what it really looked like in 1960 I think the entire truck will be a pleasing in appearance without being Rat-rod. I'm doing everything myself including upholstery, body work, paint, welding etc. Since it is a first time on most of these the outcome is not perfect.... but it is great practice for the Speedster sitting in my storage lot under tarp.

I'll just pleat up a dash pad like I did the seats and door panels instead of buying a finished product. I've already done headliner, sun visors and welting as well as door panels and seat. But, I hadn't thought of the chrome piping... it does need a highlight for definition... think I may make some white piping to match the headliner and sun visors.... since the truck came with shag carpet and seats, I just assumed that the previous redo came up with the chrome piping instead of being original. The chrome even if original feels as cheesy to me as the shag carpet that covered the seats when I bought the truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1671293Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1671294Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03403.jpg
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1671295Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03404.jpg
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1671296

Comment

OH, this is THAT truck, I remember it from your other post, VERY nice! You did a great job on the Interior also.

That dash Pad IS the Original and very rare in even that condition, only '60 Deluxe Cab Champs had those. I would use it as a sample pattern.

I think some contrasting light color if not Silver, piping would definately look great.

Have you or someone changed the Window regulators and door handle remotes to the square shank '53 to '55 Type? I noticed the 1955 Car Handles that only fit the old drivers.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I just threw the set of handles from my Speedster down because they were near by in my basement shop for the photo..... I was not aware of the square vs. ribbed difference... thanks for that info. The regulators seemed mechanically sound but quite gummed up. I cleaned them up, exercised them, lubed them and reinstalled them.

I plan to pleat the new pad like the original... Since I did the rear quarters, headliner and sun visors in an eggshell white much like the cream on the exterior, I had considered the dash in that material as well. However, I settled on black like the original as I did the kick panels and will do the firewall panel.

Now please don't tell me that the shag carpet seats and floor cover were part of the rare deluxe cab package!

Comment

No, no, no! Lower level and mid-level trim Cars and all Trucks had Rubber floor mats.

All Champ Trucks had all Vinyl Seat Trim.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The dash pad from a '60 Lark is the same as the T6 Champ cover.

Here is an interior photo of a friend's '64 Champ - that is an original padded dash from a '60 Lark - could not find a padded dash for the 8E.

Comment

Like I said, mine will appear original from the outside except for the boat trailer tail lights and concealed tailgate cables. The interior is all Merlin, softer than the original and with carpet, fabric seat cover and a lot more sound deadening behind the surfaces. No changes to the dash or gauges and similar to original dash pad...

We're still budget at $4,500 including tires and purchase price.

Comment

OK, I listened and pulled the dash. Very good decision.... oh the dirt behind it that needed to be removed! It will now be so much easier to re-trim the firewall and repaint the steering column too.

Finished my top cover and attached it to the shell. I used too heavy a backing material behind the batting so the contour it isn't as smooth as I wanted. I need to back track and get it right.

Today's objective, get the dash painted. My local NAPA store will mix and rattle can color code Acrylic Enamel, so I had them mix a couple spray cans of Apache Red. I've gotten in the habit of doing this for touch up or places that got missed like around door jams, firewalls, inner fenders or wheels so I don't have to make a major base/clear coat project out of small jobs. This paint is a initially a bit softer than a catalyzed paint so it needs more time to harden out.

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1671434Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0071.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1671432Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0075.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1671435

Now, I'm looking for an answer... How do I get those pesky buttons off the controls so I can remove them and paint the dash?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've done it also. Ain't brain surgery.
                            Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                            I took the dash pad out of my 63 Champ years ago without removing the dash. (I needed to keep the truck mobile). I drove it for several days without the dash pad in place. It can be done!!

Terry
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

A thank you to 62 Champ for the picture above. It has been a God send in redoing my dash.

Refreshed the instruments and buffed out the trim rings. The gels in the idiot light holes are shot so today I ordered colored 1/4" LED's to replace them. I plan to mount them in rubber grommets to hold them in position in the light holes. The more I looked at 62Champ's Pics, the more the dash needed Chrome instead of a white piping like I had earlier proposed. So, I picked up a roll of chrome door edge, placed folded scrap vinyl in the groove over 18 gauge upholstery thread and used this instead of chrome piping. Applied a little hairdryer heat to soften the bends.... came out great.

Painted the dash and buffed out knobs and backing plates. Placed another layer of batting under the dash mat and it made a big difference. Tossed the radio.... if I add one it will be below the dash.

Pulled the arm rests to re-cover and was shocked to see how close the original fabric was to the fabric I used to upholster the seat, door panels and now the armrests. In the AM hope to pull the steering wheel and begin restore on it.

Anxious for some warm weather so I can finish the headliner....

Name:	IMAG0099.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1671500 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0096.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1671499

Comment

Working...
                              X