Broken drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Broken drum

Pulled a rear brake drum on the 61 Hawk today to do some brake work and the drum has a crack about 3/4 of an inch on each side of the key slot at the inside end. Probably due to someone greasing the axle (although it was dry) or an improper key installation at some time. It has apparently been this way for awhile. Has anyone ever tried welding these cracks or is replacement the only solution. Haven't pulled the other side yet but I'll bet its the same way. Suggestions ???

I would not say hasnt been done, I wouldnt say it cant be done....but I can say I would not do it.
    Are '61 Hawk drums not available?

Comment

I have repaired hubs similar to these. What I have done is drill the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then weld up the keyway (and cracks). After welding it is necessary to skim cut the inside taper to make sure the bore is still concentric and perpendicular to the flange. The next step is to broach a new keyway 180out of phase with the original keyway. Neal

Comment

I haven't haven't found any yet at the Stude vendors but I haven't checked for used ones anywhere. Who knows maybe somebody like NAPA has some hid away but I really doubt it. I'm not sure that this car hasn't been running like this for years. It has rear brake linings with about 70% of their life left so I'm betting whoever replaced them put this drum back on. It had a lot of crud on it and I only noticed the damage when I cleaned it. I wonder how many there are out there in this condition?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal in NM View Post
          I have repaired hubs similar to these. What I have done is drill the end of the crack to keep it from spreading, then weld up the keyway (and cracks). After welding it is necessary to skim cut the inside taper to make sure the bore is still concentric and perpendicular to the flange. The next step is to broach a new keyway 180out of phase with the original keyway. Neal
          I thought about drilling the end of the cracks but they cracked up to the flange (about 3/4 of an inch) which is heavier metal and stopped. Since we are only sacrificing a 3/4 inch of the key way I wonder how much of the strength of the drum is compromised.

Comment

The Drum should be fine, all you need to do is find an old school Garage or Brake Shop that has the de-swagging and swagging tools to remove and reinstall new Studs and replace your Hub. You can find a junk Drum from a Club Member to use it's Hub.

New 10 inch Rear Finned Drums are available but not with Hubs.

I would not use that Hub as is or repaired, they are under a lot of stress/twisting force on accelleration and the result won't be pretty.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The Drum should be fine, all you need to do is find an old school Garage or Brake Shop that has the de-swagging and swagging tools to remove and reinstall new Studs and replace your Hub. You can find a junk Drum from a Club Member to use it's Hub.

New 10 inch Rear Finned Drums are available but not with Hubs.

I would not use that Hub as is or repaired, they are under a lot of stress/twisting force on accelleration and the result won't be pretty.
              Thanks Rich, but unfortuantely the Midas', Sears, Meinekies and other miscellaneous "remove and replace"muffler and brake shops have all but eliminated the independents that could do that kind of work in this area. I'm probably looking for the full hub and drum replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                ... have all but eliminated the independents that could do that kind of work in this area.
                "All but" indicates there may still be someone in the area. The trick is to identify them. That's where the members of your local SDC Chapter become invaluable. They already know the service providers needed to help us keep our vehicles on the road.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Unfortunately the nearest SDC chapter in this State is over 300miles away. I'd be better off to go to Washington. I'm going to pull the other side off as soon as it quits snowing and see if I need both rear hubs which I probably do and then try to find some good used replacements. Thanks for all the replies.
                  Earle

Comment

Unfortunately the nearest SDC chapter is 300 miles away. I would be better off to go to Idaho or Washington. I'm going to pull off the other side and see if I need both Hubs and then look for some good used replacements. Thanks for all the replies.

Earle

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                      Pulled a rear brake drum on the 61 Hawk today to do some brake work and the drum has a crack about 3/4 of an inch on each side of the key slot at the inside end. Probably due to someone greasing the axle (although it was dry) or an improper key installation at some time. It has apparently been this way for awhile. Has anyone ever tried welding these cracks or is replacement the only solution. Haven't pulled the other side yet but I'll bet its the same way. Suggestions ???
                      I am guessing that your are 10" finned? I might have one or 2 left but need to look, and for people that thing things don't brake take a look at these.

289 cam and rod

Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

I trust that you were not one of the Idiots that misused them Bob!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          I am guessing that your are 10" finned? I might have one or 2 left but need to look, and for people that thing things don't brake take a look at these.

289 cam and rod

Thanks Bob, I found a machine shop here that say they have repaired a lot of these by either broaching a new key slot or rebroaching the existing one after the crack repair. I'll let you know what I find out. Probably the best way to go if they can do it.

Comment

I have an 11" rear drum/hub I took off my '63 Hawk in excellent condition. The only reason I removed it was I had one finned and one "plain" drum and I found a NOS finned one. It was working fine and it *appears* to be well within legal limits. I can mike it if there's any interest. The hub is not swaged onto the drum, that's the way it came off the car but I want to sell them together, they're just a few weeks away from going on to ebay.! I'm in OR, PM me if you're interested. BTW, I am new to this forum and this is my first time posting....

Comment

63 R2, you are most welcome on the forum, you've obviously got the spirit we try to encourage here.

Comment

Working...
                              X