What Kind of Shifter is This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert-

The shifter/cover Jerry showed is the way to go. It's from a T-90 that came in many Jeeps in the 60s and 70s.

It almost is a bolt-on. You need to elongate the two rear holes about 3/16" and cut the low/reverse shift fork off and move it back 3/16" and it will work great. For the O/D you will need to weld a little plate on it so when shifting to reverse it will work like normal. Without this plate you have to pull the handle out every time you want to back up.

It's a pretty slick setup. Of course, the trans. isn't the most durable thing; some prefer the T-85 for a truck, but if you're good to it the 86 should last. Be sure to fill both the trans. AND the O/D with oil! They're two separate compartments, and filling the trans. will NOT fill the O/D reservoir.
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

rrausch, I know cause I used'em way back in the day. They used some of the same components that was used on the early t-10 4 speed shifter also. I been doin' this stuff for 58 years. The first one of these I used, I put it in a 51 Chev, 2 door H.T. Some people would say I ruined a completely original car. I put a 312 Ford motor. A 3speed w O.D. and a 51 ford rear end. (4.11) Got a picture somewhere.

Comment

The first one of these I used, I put it in a 51 Chev, 2 door H.T. Some people would say I ruined a completely original car. I put a 312 Ford motor. A 3speed w O.D. and a 51 ford rear end. (4.11) Got a picture somewhere.
        We old 'bama boys are gettin' way OT here, but some other people would say you improved that '52 Chevy a lot. IMHO, the early '50s Chevy 6-cyl, 3-speed tranny and column shifter were junk. I had a friend in high school who owned one and he blew it up about every three months. GM's philosophy in those days was, if the buyer wanted cheap transportation, buy a Chevy. If one wanted speed, power, durability, pay more and step up to an Oldsmobile. The Olds Rocket 88 used the Chevrolet body and cost very little more to make, but sold for a much higher profit for GM.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

You are so right, Jack on several counts. I would not have been able to have enjoyed having all the cars I have, had it not been for my Dad running a junk yard (salvage yard today) all my life. But I did have a 49 olds 2 dr H.T. and it was a really cool car back in the late 50's. The only problem was it was 6 volts, and I had a hard time starting it. There was a 53 (12V) that came in and I was going to swap some parts, to cure the problem. But, things changed and the 49 was gone before it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
            rrausch, I know cause I used'em way back in the day. They used some of the same components that was used on the early t-10 4 speed shifter also. I been doin' this stuff for 58 years. The first one of these I used, I put it in a 51 Chev, 2 door H.T. Some people would say I ruined a completely original car. I put a 312 Ford motor. A 3speed w O.D. and a 51 ford rear end. (4.11) Got a picture somewhere.
            I used 'em too. I had a '58 Corvette back in the day, with a T-10, and I did R&R the trans at least once, but I don't remember exactly what that T-10 shifter looked like. I do however remember what the PG shifter on my buddy's '56 Vette looked like, because he gave it to me for my '46 Chevy panel truck that I had put a Pontiac V8 w/ TriPower and a Hydromatic in, in Ag. Shop in High School. I modified his 'Vette shifter to use it on the Hydromatic. I did a bit of cutting and fabbing on it, and got it to work. This was about 45 years ago, back when speed equipment and early Corvettes were readily available. Corvette got stolen while I was in the Army and when I got back to the farm I found out my brother gave away my panel truck!! I did get the 'Vette back, but it had been partially stripped and I sold it. Panel truck I never saw again.

Here's what the 'Vette (and me) looked like.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	90424895.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1671282
            Last edited by rrausch; 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM. Reason: Add picture
            1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
            1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
            Robert Rausch

Comment

Thanks Bob for that information. I'm really trying to help my buddy--he's restoring his dad's '49 Studey truck. He's the guy I've posted about before who had the original 6-cyl flathead rebuilt by Myron McDonald in Aurora, Mo., and then that engine was stolen out of my buddy's garage, probably by scrap metal thieves. After that happened he kinda gave up on the truck, but I've been nudging him to get back to it. Then I found him a donor truck that had a 259 in it, and a few other things he needed and he bought it. So we're back in business so to speak. I'm trying to get a trans together for him.
              1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
              Robert Rausch

Comment

I found a good T90 shifter locally for a good price! Yip yip yahoo. I hope to rebuild the trans this month. I'll post about it as I proceed.
                Robert Rausch

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  .....You need to elongate the two rear holes about 3/16" and cut the low/reverse shify fork off and move it back 3/16" and it will work great.
                  Thanks Bob. I picked up a T90 shifter locally for not too much. Would anyone happen to have a picture of the surgery needed on the 1st/rev shifter fork? In other words... where do I cut?
                  Robert Rausch

Comment

I don't have any pictures but it will probably be self-explanatory once you get into it. Just be sure to visualize the throw range and assure there's clearance.

Pictures as you do it would be great for future reference

BTW- changed 'shify' to 'shift' in post #16 like it was supposed to be. Dang lack of typing skills
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Thanks Bob. BTW, how sure are you about that 3/16ths?
                      Robert Rausch

Comment

Very sure, since this came from Ted Harbit. But I'm sure once you get into it you will see for sure how much you need.
                        Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I just found this on the AMAZING Bob's Studebaker Resource Website. It's an article from Hot Rod Magazine, circa 1955 about a guy who put a similar floor shift in his '53 Studey Coupe.
                          "Modify the low and reverse shift fork by placing it in a vise and bending the shank back 3/16ths inch so that the fork will ride clear of the gears in Neutral position. The base plate's two rear hold down holes must be elongated one-half of the hole diameter toward the front of the case to line up with the hold down holes."

Ain't the Internet wunnerful!!! Thanks Bob Andrews, I would not have done the searching if you'd not told me about it.
                          Robert Rausch

Comment

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life and say I did get a Jeep T-90 shifter and I did set it on top the T86E trans I just rebuilt. Here's a picture of it sitting there. But I didn't have to elongate the mounting holes at all--the 6 holes lined up perfectly. I have yet to figure out exactly how much the 1st/Rev fork needs to be moved. I don't see how in the world it can be bent, as the Hot Rod magazine article said, since that fork appears to be forged and/or heat treated in it's entirety, but I'm going to figure out that part of it tomorrow. Any comments, please post away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	141674457.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1671982
                            Robert Rausch

Comment

Check GARY Ash's Web site he has all the info and pictures.
                              Dick

Comment

Thanks Dick. I just emailed him.
                                Robert Rausch

Comment

Working...
                                X