1940 Champion engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1940 Champion engine swap

Our 40 Champion has the stock engine. We were GIVEN a 1955 185 cu.in engine and I have a extra 3spd od tranny but the bell housing has the starter on the drivers side and it is up high which appears to get in the way of steering and linkage. I have found not all starters are the same so I run into some are long hitting the Dist. others are for automatics The questions I have are;
    Can I use the 185 and bolt it to the stock bellhousing so everything stays where it is and look stock?
    If I have to change to the other bellhousing will I have clearance problems and starter issues?
    I really appreciate ALL forum members I learn so much just cruising through the topics.
    Thanks Doug

This is a pure guess on my part. However, I would think that you should have no problem using the stock bell housing if you dial it in. You need to check the ring gear and starter bendix to make certain the teeth match up. If not, check and see if the starter can be moved from the '55 bell housing to the original. The pilot shaft on the original transmission should be checked to make sure it matches up as well.

Have fun. The 185 should take that car for a good ride.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

thanks for the feed back John, I've ground the teeth off of one starter bendix right off the bat assuming that the starter that came in the pile matched the 55 flywheel, Wrong "O" . The 40 starter and bellhousing are much different so now I will check the 55 ring gear against the the 40 starter if I have a match I'll let you know. I problem is, it is 20 degrees out there so I'll be awhile checkin' that out. thanks again

Comment

The last thing you want to do is take my word for this. I have never done it. Studebaker made these engines for many years with little changes here and there. I have a '53 engine in my '48. I used the '48 bellhousing, trans, manifold, distributor, oil pan, etc. Just because I got away with it, don't mean you will.

As far as it being 20 degrees...I don't blame you. It is in the 40's here and I am operating the recliner, computer, and TV today.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would think Bill Cathcart would be the answer-man on this. He's not on the Forum. Someone will have to look him up.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

The 185 will fit in place of the original engine and look pretty much the same. It isn't intirely a bolt-in job however. That's mainly because when Studebaker created the 185 engine in 1955 they had to make the block taller by about 5/8". They also increased the size of the main bearings. Because of that, earlier bell housings, front and rear engine plates, oil pans, etc. won't fit a 1955 or newer engine. The bell housing from a 1955 or newer truck engine will have the starter located similar to your Champion. The transmission may or may not have a different bolt pattern. You may need a truck oil pan to clear the '40 steering linkage.
            You need to know the year of the 185 or at least count the teeth on the flywheel. If you plan to keep a 6 volt system you may need to change the flywheel ring gear.
            Those are the major considerations I can think of, and there are several more minor items to deal with, but it is a worthwhile swap.
            D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

40 swap

As always a wealth of info to consider, Thanks. I'll be engineering a engine stand to be able mount all the oil pans,bellhousings and starters and flywheels I have laying around and sort this mess out. I didn't even consider the number of teeth on the flywheel that could also be why I ground teeth off a starter. Everyday is an learning experience for me. Thanks again for the input you guys are cool.

Comment

To me, it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. But then, I'm not doing the job. Different strokes for different folks. Good luck whatever you do.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                X