Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any direct replacement carbs for an R2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Are there any direct replacement carbs for an R2?

I have rebuilt my AFB so many timesI have lost count. Are there any replacements for the AFM without modifications? I just can't stop it from flooding. I have good vacuum and all but gas just drips from the venturis. Thanks

Well, I think I have found my trouble!!

After countless rebuilds, I think I have found my problem. I always put the carb floats in water to see if the are bouyant as i have done numerous times before but I learned something tonight. I guess water has a higher bouyancy than gasoline. I put the floats in Gasoline to as one last attempt to find a problem. Well, One float dropped about half way down the container I used. I took that one out and found it has just ever so small of old gas in it. Not enough to hear sloshing around but enough to keep it from floating completely. I wil put the carb back to gether tomorrow and just see if it cleared the flooding problem.

Comment

Bet you nailed it!
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The trick to testing floats is to get a suitable jar/container of boiling water and holding the float with needle nose pliers, dunk it under (assuming you did not hear any sloshing around in the float). If there is a pinhole, no matter how small, you will see tiny bubbles escaping as the heat of the water transfers to the air in the float and causes it to expand and escape. Works every time.
        1947 M5 under restoration
        a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
          After countless rebuilds, I think I have found my problem. I always put the carb floats in water to see if the are bouyant as i have done numerous times before but I learned something tonight. I guess water has a higher bouyancy than gasoline. I put the floats in Gasoline to as one last attempt to find a problem. Well, One float dropped about half way down the container I used. I took that one out and found it has just ever so small of old gas in it. Not enough to hear sloshing around but enough to keep it from floating completely. I wil put the carb back to gether tomorrow and just see if it cleared the flooding problem.
          Hey Buck, is there anything left at Boykin's Garage? 20 years ago the place was overflowing with Studebakers!

I'm in Rock Hill, have a R-1 '64 Avanti and a '63 R-2 GT Hawk. What do you have?

Russ Farris
          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Max, A local real estate person told some guy from California that it was a historical site and if he bought the place, he would make a million dollars. He sold all the cars for scrap. The only thing left is the car hauler. My Avanti was bought from Boykin's. I also have a 64 GT hawk with a 259 and a 72 Corvette that I bought new when I got back from Vietnam. Let's get together when I get this Avanti going. Thanks Tom

Comment

Hey, thanks for the heads up on this. My AFB started flooding on me big time. I removed the top, and looked for something clogging the needles and seats, and both were clear. Started up the engine, and started flooding again(only through the rear/large venturies) Didn't even dawn on me to check and see if the floats were leaking or not. Once again, forgetting to check the basics. BTW, the last time I had the top off of an AFB was in 1980, didn't know or had forgotten that there were twin needles and seats...also made me remember that I had a complete Carter Stip Kit stashed away somewhere since 1980. Spent about 2 (wasted) hours hunting for it...either I threw it out or gave it away or it's hiding with the 307 and turbo 350 trans that I misplaced somewhere back around the time I got married (1985)...to this day that engine and trans. has not re-appeared...go figure. Will check those floats out later. Junior.
              Last edited by junior; 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM.
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

FWIW, I found the same problem when I bought an older snowblower with a Tecumseh engine. Would start, but flood out immediately. The seller had diddled with the carb, replaced the fuel line, but couldn't fix it. I got it for $50, spent $6 for a new float and after the first snow, sold it for $225.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

That's a real good tip on how to check the floats. Thanks. I'm real cautious with gasoline. A friend of mine got burned up wrking on a car with gas sitting around. Thanks for the tip. I hope this fixes the old car.

Comment

Working...
                  X