55 President State Sedan Ultravision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: 55 President State Sedan Ultravision

Did all 55 Presidents come stock with dual exhaust ?
    I ask because when I had a new system installed recently [replaced a single exhaust]
    I noticed that the car didn't have the support brackets on the drivers side at the motor and at the rear frame kickup just in front of the rear axle.
    The batwing crossmember had a notch on both sides for dual exhaust.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Did your gravel shield under the rear bumper have 1 cut out or 2 for the exhaust pipe?

Comment

As an added note, 55"s had larger diameter tail pipes.....a one year thing. Strangely they shrunk em back down in 56 and later.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hi Dan,
        I understood the dual exhaust to be optional.
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
          Did all 55 Presidents come stock with dual exhaust ?
          I ask because when I had a new system installed recently [replaced a single exhaust]
          I noticed that the car didn't have the support brackets on the drivers side at the motor and at the rear frame kickup just in front of the rear axle.
          The batwing crossmember had a notch on both sides for dual exhaust.
          My 1962 Lark V8 is that way as well and I'm also going with duals.
          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

No, Dan; to answer your question, not all 1955 Presidents had dual exhausts.

One irony of the era is that they did all have 4-barrel carburetors, and dual exhausts were optional early-on. They might have been optional all year, but for all practical purposes, Presidents almost always were equipped with duals after mid-year.

I say almost because one of our chapter members, Marvin Snider, below, owns a nice 1955 second-series President coupe ("C" body) with single exhaust. There is no cutout in the rear gravel shield for a second pipe on Marvin's car, either. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think for sedans it was part of the change at 1/1/55 from straight windshields to wrap-a-round. Dual exhaust was added and the HP rating bumped up a little. The engines were renamed from Wildcat to Passmaster.

Charlie D.

Comment

ST2DE5: There was 1 cutout on the gravel shield.
                Hello Bob, Can't thank you enough. Returned Sunday from Thanksgiving in Modesto with oldest son and family. About 540 miles round trip.
                Another reason I asked about stock dual exhaust is because my 56 Pres has all the supports for dual exhaust and had single exhaust.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                  Did your gravel shield under the rear bumper have 1 cut out or 2 for the exhaust pipe?
                  My '55 President Deluxe has only one cut out in the gravel shield and is single exhaust, date of manufacture January 15, 1955 it does have the wrap around window.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

My '55 LC (President State Sedan) has only one cut out, came with the four barrel carb, but no dual exhaust. Its still that way, works fine. With the DG250M and 3.31 Rear axle ratio, it's happy as a clam at high tide.

Comment

Working...
                    X