Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composition or Metal Intake Manifold Gaskets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Composition or Metal Intake Manifold Gaskets?

Just a quick question on intake manifold gaskets on a Studebaker 289 V8. I am looking for some constructive dialog on whether to go with composition or metal gaskets on this engine. What are the pros and cons in regard to Studebaker V8s and what recommendations might there be? Thank you.

I would go with the comp gaskets, they are tried and proven. I never heard of metal intake gaskets.Head gaskets yes but not intake

Comment

Stock Stude intakes use a thin sheet steel intake gasket as original.

As for me...I buy composite sheet material (when required) and use a steel gasket to trace the shape, cut it out, trial fit and use that.

Iron intake to iron heads is fine for using the steel shim material, but if you have an aluminum intake, best to use a composite material.

That's the way I do it..

Mike

Comment

I learned something new today, thanks Mike.

Comment

My 289 gasket set came with sheet steel intake and composite head gasket-opposite of what I was advised to use.
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Mook -
            Any time, I try.

52 -
            In most cases....either will work in either location..
            Steel (thin) or composition (thick) as a head gasket work fine.
            (I prefer) composition for the intake gasket, though as said, with an iron intake, works just fine with a steel gasket.

Mike

Comment

I've never tried the composite ones. The steel ones work fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                Steel (thin) or composition (thick) as a head gasket work fine.
                Agreed. However, and this is a personal preference, I usually use the steel (thin) head gasket for the simple reason they don't require retorquing. On a Lark, V8, not to bad to retorque...........but on a '64 GT with power steering it is a quite a project to retorque the head gaskets <G>.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                X