Wire harness routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wire harness routing

I am considering replacing all or part of my wiring harness forward of the firewall.My question is - is there a way to get to the front part of the harness; the part that goes through the 'tunnel' in the area of the radiator?I know I could just use a fishing tape, but can I unbolt some sheetmetal to get to it?The grille and headlight bezels are off FWIW.I did a search and couldn't find any info on this.Thanks for your suggestions.

Not sure what you mean by the " 'tunnel' in the area of the radiator".
    If you are replacing the front harness you will be replacing everything from the dash forward. Even if you are replacing only the lighting harness, it will connect from the dash to the front light fixtures.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

What model & year are you referring to??? TIA

Comment

As per my user name I am working on a (rusty) 65 Daytona.I have one NOS harness, unopened in the box,as well as 1 and 1/2 good used harnesses.At this point I am just making notes about things, reading other peoples' stories etc.
        The section I am refering to is just forward of the radiator.The harness enters this area just to the left of the battery and exits in the area of the horn on the other side.I have read and re-read Showbizkid's blog about this subject, but he didn't have this problem on his year car.

Comment

I am guessing that rusty65 could mean that the poster has a '65, just a guess of course!

If so, that explains the "Tunnel" at the Radiator, that all '64 to '66 Lark Types have.

The radiator surround Panel has a "Box" that the Horn, Alternator, Parking, and Head Light wiring passes through, you should be able to just dissconnect all of the terminations on the right side, pull it out with a "fish" wire attached to the end, later disconnect it and attach the other end of it to the new right side bundle to pull it across.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

To answer your question, Rusty; no, you cannot unbolt anything to open up that tunnel; it is formed and spot-welded.

Just use a fishing tape to pull it through. It's really the only way to do it. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I am guessing that rusty65 could mean that the poster has a '65, just a guess of course!

If so, that explains the "Tunnel" at the Radiator, that all '64 to '66 Lark Types have.

The radiator surround Panel has a "Box" that the Horn, Alternator, Parking, and Head Light wiring passes through, you should be able to just dissconnect all of the terminations on the right side, pull it out with a "fish" wire attached to the end, later disconnect it and attach the other end of it to the new right side bundle to pull it across.
              .....You are correct! I was just trying to avoid using the fish wire method.Along with the above mentioned wires, there are two wires, independent of the harness, that go from the voltage regulator to the alternator.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                X