Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heads Up Bendix Disc Brake Owners (Read This One)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Heads Up Bendix Disc Brake Owners (Read This One)

I just discovered a problem with my Hawk's Disc Brakes. I tried backing out of the garage and the Front passenger wheel jammed. I lost two bolts that hold on the caliper from the kingpin hub causing the caliper to move backward and stopping the wheel from turning while going in reverse. Nothing felt abnormal while moving forward.

So check those bolts and use some locktite when reinstalling them.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Yep, Allen: This happened to Larry Swanson when participating as a Press Observer in The Great American Race years ago.

Larry was driving his 1964 Daytona Convertible; cousin George Krem and I were along for the ride. We were just cruising along a two-lane road on the race route in Tennessee, minding our own business, and went around a gentle corner.

Larry hit the brakes and wham! We were dead in the water with the LF brake disabled. It required that the emergency roll-off following along the route stop to pick us up. They flat-bedded the car to Rene Harger's upholstery shop in Knoxville, where we repaired it overnight.

Scary stuff we reported in Turning Wheels, but I cannot quickly find the article this morning. It's been at least 20 years. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Since I have not owned one of these set ups, I can't speak from first hand knowledge. However, if the physical design permits, perhaps a strategically cross drilled hole in the bolt head and a safety wire should be considered for added security. This technique is usually reserved for a bolt and nut, but it could be used on a bolt head.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Since I have not owned one of these set ups, I can't speak from first hand knowledge. However, if the physical design permits, perhaps a strategically cross drilled hole in the bolt head and a safety wire should be considered for added security. This technique is usually reserved for a bolt and nut, but it could be used on a bolt head.
        Not a bad idea, John, and it has been done. 'Must be done carefully, of course, in that only high-strength bolts must be used in that position.

Good old LockTite does about as well providing the bolts are torqued properly and checked every so often. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Having sold Loctite products and dispensing units for years, I know there are different formulations for a variety of applications. Most are heat sensitive and can break down under certain conditions. While a safety wire might not keep the bolts tight, it could keep the bolt from working completely out and losing them. Nothing will replace a good physical check and safety inspection.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Caliper Bracket to Spindle Bolts

At Frost & French Studebaker we always sold and or installed those (6) bolts in grade 8 teflon button type locking bolts.

I sold many complete "repair kits" for the front disc. setup, usually when those bolts back out the whole caliper spins around and takes out the dust shield and of course the special "L" shaped mounting brackets usually have worn/stripped threads in the 6 holes, making them junk as well as the crossover tubes, flex hose, sometimes even the Caliper "Saddle" and the Rotor.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Minnesota road salt helps keep fasteners in place also.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Been there- done that...

It does indeed happen!!! Back in 1994 or so I had Sweet Pea's front end rebuilt. The shop also did a brake job. The following year I was on my way to the LA Winter Meet- and just blocks away- when my right front let go. It locked the wheel up real good. But I was able to safely back the car up and get it out of the road, and into a Safeway parking lot. I made a few calls and was able to have her on a dolly headed for the show within about an hour. It was odd in that I had made arrangements to have the car dropped off at a shop for an engine/trans rebuild the next day. Luckily I was able to drop it off early!!!

Gosh- has it really been 100,000 miles- already?!?!?!
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Bob, I believe that was the year my friend Duane Snyder was with Larry. They also had water pump problems if I remember correctly.
                  I have a CD with photos of that run from Duane.

Comment

I ave the correct 1/2 x 20 grade 8 bolts in stock if anybody wants to "upgrade" them. Studebaker used grade 5.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                    X