'51 Turn Signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: '51 Turn Signals

I'm trying to add turn signals to my 51 Champion and am having trouble under the dash. The general wiring diagram for 1951 doesn't show turn signals. Does anyone have a '51 that originally came with turn signals, or does anyone know the answers to the following questions?

1 Where did the turn signal flasher socket attach? It must have attached to some sort of bracket as the wires come out the back of the socket so it can't attach to the dash or firewall.

2. Where is the power for the Turn Signal flasher supposed to come from? Seemingly, because it is a fused line, it could get power from the ignition switch or gas gauge, or . . . . .?

If you have access to a copy of February 1992 Turning Wheels the installation instructions (with wiring diagram) for the turn signals is printed on page 40. Otherwise, you can buy a copy of the instructions for AC-2125 here...............
    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm
    So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

1. I don't know where the factory put the flasher holder, but some could have just "floated", hanging on the wiring under the dash.

2. You power the turn signals from the "ACC" terminal of the ignition switch.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks. Since my TWs didn't start until '93, I'll order the document.

Comment

The flasher is mounted to a little metal bracket that attaches to one of the bolts that hold the steering column up. You can power it from either the ACC side of the ignition, or from the AMP meter. The front parking lights become the front turn indicator lights, and the brake lights become the tail turn indicators. There are two little lights that mount to the back of the speedometer for inside indicators (pilot lights, in the instructions). The top half of this page shows the wiring for 1952, which is the same as 1951:

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...52acc-wire.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
            Thanks. Since my TWs didn't start until '93, I'll order the document.
            Check your email...you now have a copy. Happy Fixing!
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Thanks Lou, Or are you doing this for your Aunts?

Comment

Some pics of my '50 Commander. I don't think there is an essential difference between the two. May be some details differ.

I'm not sure the car was originally fitted with flashers. The wires are in better condition than the rest but are still classically woven. If it was a post delivery mod that at least it is an old one.

The flasher relay is below the wiper motor on the firewall in a clip that seems to be made for the relay.

Good luck!
                Attached Files
                The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

KJongenburger, Thanks for posting the pictures. You have an interesting signal flashing unit mounting. Unfortunately, my socket is different and is on a much shorter wire from the dash so won't be able to replicate yours.

Never having seen the underside of the dash of any Studebaker except mine, I was intrigued by one of the non-TurnSignal differences though and I don't know if it is the difference of Champion to Commander, or '50 to '51, or maybe both. Your wipers appear to be run by cables over pulleys rather than the rigid steel arms that I have.

I enclose a couple pictures of mine so you can see what I've got.
                  Attached Files

Comment

The wiring is different from 50 to 51. The 50 uses its own dedicated bulbs in the rear, while 51 uses the brake lights in the rear. That means that the brake light wiring goes through the turn signal switch. That means the 51 switch has more wires than the 50.

Yes, in 51, Studebaker changed the windshield wiper linkage. That's why the 51-52 radio has an angled top and that's why the 50 radio will not fit the 51052, even though the radios look the same - mostly.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hmm, yea... More different than I expected.

From experience on other cars I know that you need the relay to be mounted on some sheet metal or so. If you just tie it up somewhere in a wire harness you won't hear the clicks. It needs a resonance board of some kind. On the Triumph I glued it to the underside of the plastic dashboard with epoxy glue that really hardens. Even with the roof down I can hear the relay. Don't use a glue that stays flexible
                      The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Champ51 View Post
                        Thanks Lou, Or are you doing this for your Aunts?
                        Well, since you won't sell me the car and you won't trade for my old toy collection I guess we've got to steal it back. Thus, we figured, turn signals (you are going to install the type with an emergncy flasher, right?) would be a good idea as we push it down the road from your house some dark night. I'm sure glad you decided on radial tires as they seem to roll easier...that will help out my 3 80+ year old Aunts who will push it up on my trailer while I steer. Unless, of course, you have it running by then. Happy fixing!
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                        X