LT-1 in an Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: LT-1 in an Avanti II

I am preparing to remove the old, tired SBC 305 from my 81 Avanti II. I think I have most everything figured out except what to do about fuel delivery. From everything I have found about high pressure electric fuel pumps, they apparently don't suck very well. Without having a in-tank fuel pump, what would be the best way to handle this swap? Appreciate anyones help, and guidance.

Jim Rice

I have EFI in my '70 Avanti and it uses an electric fuel pump that's mounted beneath the fuel tank on the cross frame. The fuel filter is mounted near the pump in the frame rail.

Electric pumps are far more efficient at pushing fuel than sucking it like a mechanical fuel pump. There's many electric pumps available in that configuration. Mine is an Edelbrock that came with the EFI system.

Be sure to use fuel line hose that's rated for the pressure of EFI...ordinary fuel line hose won't do...you need the high pressure stuff.

BTW - are you using a '70-'72 LT-1 or a '90s LT1?
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
      I am preparing to remove the old, tired SBC 305 from my 81 Avanti II. I think I have most everything figured out except what to do about fuel delivery. From everything I have found about high pressure electric fuel pumps, they apparently don't suck very well. Without having a in-tank fuel pump, what would be the best way to handle this swap? Appreciate anyones help, and guidance.

Jim Rice
      Jim

My 83 has a Holley EFI system with the fuel pump mounted on the frame just under the passengers door. If you look at the Avanti tank, the fuel outlet is on the bottom which is well above the frame. The problem with most cars is the bottom of the tank is at or below the pump level so there is no head pressure on the pump and it has to suck. The Avanti is not like that so the fuel pump mounting has some flexibility. I like to exercise mine on the road and have had no feeding problems. I'd use at least 3/8" lines to feed the pump though.

As an aside, most after market systems use Aeromotive pumps with a filters before and after the pump.

I have a 90's LT1 in my 54K and there I used the in-tank GM system by welding the GM flange on the top of the tank.

Bob

Comment

What Gunslinger said.

Here's a pic of how I mounted mine. I wanted easy access to the pump, filter, and inertia switch incase it tripped -so I mounted everything behind the driver's rear wheel just below the tank. Be sure to use EFI fuel line and clamps. Summit Racing sells a variety of inline pumps. The '90's LT1 doesn't require the same pressures of current EFI engines -only 45 or so PSI if I remember correctly. And you'll want to use the vent line as your return line.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here's a photo of where the fuel pump on my car is located. The blue EFI fuel line goes to the filter but can't be seen here.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Thanks to all for the guidance and photos. Sounds easy enough. this LT-1 is a 90's vintage and I already have a 70 PSI Airtex pump. This should be okay don't you think?

Comment

I would think the Airtex is ok...just find out what pressure the LT1 is designed for...you may need a pressure regulator if 70psi happens to be too much.

Comment

Problem with high PSI race pumps is heat.
                If they run long enough under light/low fuel load, they get hot.
                Heat kills them. That's why OE's bury them in the tank, so the fuel itself can cool the pump.
                (Which is also why you shouldn't run your modern EFI tank low/low/low).
                Check out a fuel control unit that cycles the pump when idling, or part throttle cruising.
                Jeff

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
                Thanks to all for the guidance and photos. Sounds easy enough. this LT-1 is a 90's vintage and I already have a 70 PSI Airtex pump. This should be okay don't you think?
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

what is the part # for your pump? I went to look for it and there are many to chose from. one thing I can tell is the GPH ratings on them is not the greatest.if there is one thing you want to over kill it is fuel,then ignition. you don't want to go lean under any circumstances when you do, your motor goes bang from detonation and that is a word we never want to say.

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
                    what is the part # for your pump? I went to look for it and there are many to chose from. one thing I can tell is the GPH ratings on them is not the greatest.if there is one thing you want to over kill it is fuel,then ignition. you don't want to go lean under any circumstances when you do, your motor goes bang from detonation and that is a word we never want to say.
                    I can think of a couple of situations where bang is a word that you do want to hear <G>.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The pump I got is an Airtex E2000

Comment

Hey Jim! Nice to see you here.

I thought you were thinking about stuffing a Stude V8 in that Avanti...?

Comment

Matt that was my plan when I thought I had a 289 and supercharger lined up, but that fell thru, SBC it is. You are welcome to come by and see my rides at anytime.
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X