Headliner Replacement in 1957 Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Headliner Replacement in 1957 Silver Hawk

Before I get started, is there a commonly accepted procedure for replacing the headliner in a 1957 Silver Hawk? Such as, what must be removed and what should be avoided? Thanks again!
    Last edited by carussell; 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM.

Remove front and rear windows, quarter windows. jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I hate to do this, but since you asked..."is there a commonly accepted procedure for replacing the headliner in a 1957 Silver Hawk?"

I suspect that the most "commonly accepted procedure" would be to pull up to your local upholstery shop and say..."How 'bout giving me your best price on replacing this here headliner!"

However, for CASOs (like me), you can get your shop manual and look up the recommended procedure in the body section. My 1956 manual has it starting on page twenty. After you finish, if it turns out OK...you can brag on what a good job you did and don't even have to admit you looked at any instructions.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        I hate to do this, but since you asked..."is there a commonly accepted procedure for replacing the headliner in a 1957 Silver Hawk?"

I suspect that the most "commonly accepted procedure" would be to pull up to your local upholstery shop and say..."How 'bout giving me your best price on replacing this here headliner!"

However, for CASOs (like me), you can get your shop manual and look up the recommended procedure in the body section. My 1956 manual has it starting on page twenty. After you finish, if it turns out OK...you can brag on what a good job you did and don't even have to admit you looked at any instructions.
        I have the manual and have gone over it, then again. I was just looking for some do's and don't's up front. I wanted to be sure if pulling the front and rear glass was the only way, and apparently it is. Guess I will replace the seals and install headliner at the same time. Accepting that, is there a trick to removing front and rear glass, apart from the manual?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
          Remove front and rear windows, quarter windows. jimmijim
          You do not have to remove the windshield or the back glass. You do have to remove the rear quarter windows though.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Jerry, I remember your earlier thread explaining how you did it without pulling the glass. I beleive you removed the garnish moulding, pulled the headliner tight, and glued it correct? The garnish moulding then goes back on and helps "clamp" the material in place? How is it holding up so far? I'm tempted to test for leaks with a hose, and if good leave the glass in as you did.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
              Jerry, I remember your earlier thread explaining how you did it without pulling the glass. I beleive you removed the garnish moulding, pulled the headliner tight, and glued it correct? The garnish moulding then goes back on and helps "clamp" the material in place? How is it holding up so far? I'm tempted to test for leaks with a hose, and if good leave the glass in as you did.
              Yes, that is correct, except I had the windshield out. It's still as tight as a banjo string.

But,,,,,,, do '57's have rear window garnish moldings? Even if they don't, if I was doing a '57, I would leave the back glass in and pull only the windshield. After the front is pulled tight and glued and the sides are pulled tight and secured then the back of the headliner can be pulled tight, glued and tucked under the rear window rubber.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thanks Jerry, by the way, Frosty came out great! I enjoyed following along during his transformation.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

For a complete description, you can also try the article here: http://www.raylinrestoration.com/
                  Scroll down to Studebaker Technical pages, and then go to 1953-1961 Studebaker Coupe and Hawk Headliner Installations

It's a pretty good description of the process.
                  '53 Commander
                  Art Morrison chassis
                  LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Originally posted by ralt12 View Post
                    For a complete description, you can also try the article here: http://www.raylinrestoration.com/
                    Scroll down to Studebaker Technical pages, and then go to 1953-1961 Studebaker Coupe and Hawk Headliner Installations

It's a pretty good description of the process.
                    The issue with tucking, is hoping you have soft rubber. If it's rock hard, you are in trouble.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      The issue with tucking, is hoping you have soft rubber. If it's rock hard, you are in trouble.
                      Well, you're right. But at some point with rock-hard seals, you'll encounter leaks. You'd want to replace those anyway, if you want them to work. The Ray-Lin group (no affiliation) uses the windows-out (rear window/windshield) process, which I think will give you the best results.
                      Last edited by ralt12; 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM.
                      '53 Commander
                      Art Morrison chassis
                      LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Enjoyed the view on headliner installation on the 61 Hawk. Will definitely refer to it when we install Sandi's new headliner.
                        Thanks
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                        X