Painting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Painting.

Has anybody ever painted a car (with enamal) using an electric paint gun? You thoughts? Thanks
    David G. Nittler

hello david , i did try this many years ago on a 1951 champion , do not waste your time and money , hire or borrow a good compressor and correct spray gun , it will be a far superior job in the long run. cheers from roger
    R.A.Jennings

Comment

Never tried the electric gun, but helped a cousin of mine paint a 48 Ford coupe, with a Gulf fly sprayer. Ya know the kind you pump.

Comment

My neighbor did it... once. This finish was horrible.

Comment

I once painted a barn with an electric spray gun.
          Took me a week to get it done.
          Took a month for the feeling to come back into my hand....
          I would not recommend it.
          Jeff
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I used one on my first car when I was 15 using enamel. Had to add a lot of extra thinner to get it anywhere close to a smooth finish. I was changing the color on that car. I used the same thinned down paint with a brush to do the door jambs. The jambs with the brush looked just as good as the exterior. Don't waste your time.

I personally love painting, but I will warn you, to turn out a professional looking job you will spend more money buying the right equipment and extra primer and paint (because you will probably make some mistakes) than a body shop would charge you. If you want to get into painting, then spend the money to get good equipment to start with. I tried the cheap stuff and I just ended up buying good stuff later. I don't mean to discourage you, just want you to understand that this is not a cheap hobby, if you want to do it well.
            Wayne
            "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

I started out painting bicycles as a kid then graduated to cars then to collector cars. Preparation is one key to a good paint job. if straightening, filling, priming and sanding are done haphazardly, no amount of excelllent painting will make for a good looking job. Once you do that properly then comes sealer, base coat. clear coat. then for a mirror finish, comes color sanding. Color sanding involves block sandiing the paint after the car is completely painted. It seems counter intuitive to sand paint once it is all completed, but to arrive a super finish this must be done. Use a sanding block with wet sand paper. Starting with 1000 then 2000 then 3000 grit. Takes lots and lots of elbow grease and you must have enough paint on the car so you do not sand through or you'll be starting over. You can also do this process with single stage paint when painting a solid color. It takes lots of time and carefull work but the end result is well worth the effort. then comes buffing, the final procedure.

Larry Lyles has written many articles on how to paint effectively. He's in auto restorer and has written books as well. I have several paint guns. 1.3 1.5 1.9 tips. The 1.9 I use for primer as puts out more paint. Larry recently recommended the TEKNA Spray gun. It has two air caps, one for base coat the other for clear and is one beautiful chrome plated gun. The cost is high at $450.00. I found a new one on ebay for $300.00. It arrived yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.

don

Comment

A spray gun is ONLY as good as the operator! For years I sprayed using a DeVilbissJGA-502 which is now considered an "antique" The new gravity feed guns are much more feasible and put more materials on the car vs in the air.

donaldberg has the right idea! lots of block sanding INCLUDING after the paint has cured! either base coat clear coat, or single stage.

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

The best thing to do is learn to properly prep a car for paint which doesn't require as much skill or equipment, but is time and labor intensive( where the saving$$$ are). Then find a pro to shoot it. Maaco will spray a car cheaper than you can buy the paint and can turn out a very nice product if the car is well prepped. Note not all Maacos are created equal. That said not everybody has the patience or knack to do quality prep but it can be done with a low capital investment. Try to find a knowledgeable person to OK your work before sending it to the paint shop.

Comment

Thanks one and all. I will not do the electric paint gun.
                    David G. Nittler

Comment

As a person who spent a career selling finishing systems that ran the gamut from the lowly hand-held spray gun to full automated conveyorized robotic electrostatic systems (including pump rooms, booths, and curing ovens)...I would like to know what you are calling an "electric" spray gun. Are you referring to the little back yard home owner "airless" gun like the ones you can buy at Home Depot?

I have a larger airless sprayer with an electric pump. However, it is only used with water soluble latex paints. The finish is great for barns, but I wouldn't dare attempt to use it for a solvent borne paint, or to paint a vehicle.

I think that painting is one of the most misunderstood processes of manufacturing and restoring. If it was so easy, then, why are there books of regulations and required permits? Good livable cottages can be bought for the price of an automotive spray booth. A tiny air compressor incapable of providing enough CFM for a spray gun will kill the success of the highest quality spray gun. Having the best equipment will never overcome poor skills. The cost of a good paint job can be a third of a restoration job. The better the painter...the less sanding and buffing.

CASO jobs can still be successful. However, it is still a relative term. You need to study the process, learn the dangers and safety rules, and only then...bargain for a good deal. Your very life could depend on it.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The Tekna gun is high volume low pressure gravity feed gun "the cup is on top" and is made by DeVilbiss.
                        don

Comment

If there is a local Tech School around enroll in a couple of classes and paint your car there. They have all the new high tech paint booths and you get plenty of help.

Comment

Has anyone painted a car with a roller?, Ive seen this technique on U Tube and seen the end results and you do get a decent finish, but the same holds true again prep = a good paint job, I have many a car painted by MACCO and they turned out great, because I spent days doing the prep, I think that solid colors come out better than metalic's (MACCO).for the amount of paint they use .
                            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

I think it was Bob Andrews who once used a roller, not too bad but not what you'd use for a really top quality job.
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X