Tube shocks for M5's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: Tube shocks for M5's

What is the best way to go about changing an otherwise stock M5 to tubular shocks? Would the best choice of shocks be the same as for a '50 2R5? Would the conversion help smooth the ride? Rebuilding the original lever shocks is quite expensive (unless there is some short-cut to sending them to a re-builder).
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

I've got tube shocks on my M5 and I am pretty happy with the ride, although I will admit I never drove it with the lever action ones.

But of course I'm a long way from stock with a full-flow 259, Chevy 10-bolt rear end, jeep power steering box, and front disk brakes...
    I sent mine to a fellow who had done the steering and shock conversion to a friend's M5 -- we were both really happy with the results.
    Last edited by BobWaitz; 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Bob - THANKS for those great pix!! It does look fairly straight forward - for someone who knows what to do about fabricating (that leaves me out!).

Do you remember which shock application you used?

Thanks,
      Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
      61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
      Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
      Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I'll have to look up the application. I can't think of it off the top of my head. The tricky bit is the mount on the rear axle. Keep in mind that mine isn't stock -- it's out of a 79-ish Nova which already had conventional shock mounts.

As you can see from this picture, the top front mounts are simply cut & welded angle iron and the bottom front mounts aren't terribly complicated. (I can't weld either, but if I could I imagine I could do this).

The mounts in the back need to come off the axle somehow and bolt into the frame above which isn't too hard but you will have to fab up something to attach them to the rear axle.

I'm not really sure that my shock applications would be exactly what you would use since your shock mounts would likely be in slightly different locations and probably have slightly different lengths. I'd just mock something up with cardboard, measure the shortest and longest distance the shock needed to be and find something that works for a vehicle of that weight. Then you can pick up a set and you will know how far apart the plates need to be to work with those shocks. And hopefully they are something common enough to be available for the rest of your life (like maybe AMC Matador shocks aren't the best bet).

Comment

Working...
        X