Dana 44 Rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44 Rear end

I am having the Turner disk brake system put on my '76 Avanti on both front and rear. The fronts were no problem, but the Dana 44 rear end in the car seems to be a different animal than others. By the tags, it is a Dana 44 posi with 3:31 gears. When the drums came off the flanged axles, it has 6 bolts on each axle housing end, not 4 as most flanged axles have. The 6 bolts are in what I call a "lucky horse shoe" configuration with the open end on top. The caliper mounting bracket's 3 holes don't line up with the 6 holes when put in the 1:00 to 2:00 position the calipers are to sit in. Jim Turner has not seen a flanged axle set up with 6 holes. Has anyone run into a Dana 44 with 6 bolts instead of 4. I'm thinking the 6 bolt may have been a heavy duty jeep type, but would like to know what else it could have been used with as getting new bearings and seals might be a real tricky issue now.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
    I am having the Turner disk brake system put on my '76 Avanti on both front and rear. The fronts were no problem, but the Dana 44 rear end in the car seems to be a different animal than others. By the tags, it is a Dana 44 posi with 3:31 gears. When the drums came off the flanged axles, it has 6 bolts on each axle housing end, not 4 as most flanged axles have. The 6 bolts are in what I call a "lucky horse shoe" configuration with the open end on top. The caliper mounting bracket's 3 holes don't line up with the 6 holes when put in the 1:00 to 2:00 position the calipers are to sit in. Jim Turner has not seen a flanged axle set up with 6 holes. Has anyone run into a Dana 44 with 6 bolts instead of 4. I'm thinking the 6 bolt may have been a heavy duty jeep type, but would like to know what else it could have been used with as getting new bearings and seals might be a real tricky issue now.
    Yup, got one in my 74 Avanti. After much looking, I found the 72 or so IH Scout II bearing and seal rebuild kit was a perfect match for the flanged axle set up on the backing plate end of the axles. Even came with the correct friction sleeve.

If it gets important, I'll go back to my records and see if I can find more data.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'd appreciate it if you might be able to remember what the brand of the kit was and possible a part number. Nostalgic said he goes by the Avanti parts number for the bearings, seals and retainer for the rear end, si I'm hoping I get the correct ones. The rear brake kit is going to be a no go because the Turner caliper mounting bracket isn't close to working on the 6 bolt axle housing. Replacing the fronts, all the hoses and lines along with redoing the drums, cylinders, and new shoes, the old girl should have some increased stopping power and get rid of that damned squeal that comes and goes, it seems, with the wind. Dan Booth said the squeal is inherent to the Avanti system because the rotors aren't ventilated and things like the weather and humidity affect the squeal rate. That may be a reasonable explanation, but I don't want everyone within a 3 block radius to know when I step on the brakes.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

You will be happy with the Turner kit. My '70 had horrendous brake squeal until I made the conversion. Some say it's from the pad compounds available today...some have said it from not having the calipers shimmed properly. All I know is that nothing I did eliminated the noise except only marginally. The Turner kit is worth the money.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Right you are Gunslinger. The '64 I had back in '66 had the squeal from the front brakes. The '76 I currently have doesn't squeal quite as much as the '64 did, but it would be nice for people to identify your Avanti by the engine rumble and not the brake squeal. I am bummed out that I can't use the rear Turner set up because of the configuration of the 6 bolt axle housings instead of the more normal 4 bolt housings. As for the noise, Dan Booth also said Avanti Engineers suggested using pads with more metallic content would lessen the noise, but are harder on the rotors. If rotors are getting up to $200, the Turner set-up doesn't seem so expensive considering added performance, cheaper replacement parts, and quieter operation. I'm looking forward to driving the car after new fronts, lines and rear brakes are redone before old man winter intervenes.
          sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
            Thanks for the information. I'd appreciate it if you might be able to remember what the brand of the kit was and possible a part number. Nostalgic said he goes by the Avanti parts number for the bearings, seals and retainer for the rear end, si I'm hoping I get the correct ones. The rear brake kit is going to be a no go because the Turner caliper mounting bracket isn't close to working on the 6 bolt axle housing. Replacing the fronts, all the hoses and lines along with redoing the drums, cylinders, and new shoes, the old girl should have some increased stopping power and get rid of that damned squeal that comes and goes, it seems, with the wind. Dan Booth said the squeal is inherent to the Avanti system because the rotors aren't ventilated and things like the weather and humidity affect the squeal rate. That may be a reasonable explanation, but I don't want everyone within a 3 block radius to know when I step on the brakes.
            Paul

My records are not clear but I recall this is the kit I ordered. http://scoutparts.com/products/?view...oduct_id=14076

My advice would be to get the parts from Dan if possible. I seem to recall that the bearings were not Timkin as I thought these were but I used 'em so we'll see. Matching all the parts up with the ones I removed indicated they were the same dimensions. They are in my 74 currently but it has a while before it hits the road and they fit like they should.

I ordered a kit from Jim for my 74 but my 83 had Steeltec when I purchased it and it stops great even with the 11" x 2" GM drum rears.

Bob
            Last edited by sweetolbob; 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X