Chrome Valve Covers On R Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Chrome Valve Covers On R Engines

Did all R engines have chrome valve covers? Or did some, especially ones on Hawks, Larks, station wagons, etc. have yellow covers?

Thanks,
    Joe

All R engines had chrome covers when they left the factory, Joe.

Comment

Some early photos of prototype Avanti's showed painted valve covers and some other non-standard details, but I would think when they were ultimately released for sale they were brought up to standard specs with chrome, etc.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Yes all Production Avanti and JT Engines did have the chromed covers.

The story I heard is that the 2 demo prototype Avantis an R1 Automatic and a R2 4 Speed that were driven out of the Flying Boxcar Aircraft at various parts of the country Airports to preview the new Avanti to the Dealers, Salesmen and very few invited guests, had the dress up Chrome for display only, but everyone liked it so much it was decided to include them on the Production cars.

I was at the Burbank, CA Airport Show so I can at least verify that the Prototypes did have it.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks folks. I knew I could depend on the collective wisdom of the NG. Plus I did a search in the archives and did some reading. I'm looking at a car the owner says has an "Avanti engine", but it has yellow valve covers and a breather on the four barrel carb that does not appear to have any extra hoses plumbed into it. So, from what I now understand, it is highly unlikely to be an R engine, which is fine with me. I prefer the personality and reliability of the regular Stude V8s. Not to mention cheaper gas and better MPG.
          Thanks Again,
          Joe

Comment

Look at the engine number stamped on the drivers side in front of the valley cover. If it starts with a V or P its not an Avanti engine. If it is JT or JTS its from a Lark or Hawk (JT for Jet Thrust). If it starts R or RS its from an Avanti.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It might also be good to mention here that besides R engines having the chrome parts, Studebaker also sold a chrome engine dress up package to put on any V8. This means that a car may (correctly) have the chrome parts but not be an R engine.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

"JT" valve covers have a loop welded to them, for the front two spark plug cables. Since Avanti's have looms and shielding, they don't have the loop.
                Mike M.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  It might also be good to mention here that besides R engines having the chrome parts, Studebaker also sold a chrome engine dress up package to put on any V8. This means that a car may (correctly) have the chrome parts but not be an R engine.
                  They were on sale at Standard Surplus in the late '60s/early '70s for $9.95 a set including two valve covers, two chrome breather caps and a chrome oil dipstick. I bought one set at Visnick's (Studebaker dealer) in the Boston area for the same price in '71. Hindsight being what it is...
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X