Avanti oil fill amount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti oil fill amount

Call me lucky, but I the oil pan on my 64 Avanti was used as a jacking point so it is somewhat concave. I am trying to figure out how much oil to use for an oil and filter change. In the past I have used a total of five quarts, but the dip stick shows over full.

Question: if the oil pan was not damaged, would a total of 5 quarts for an oil and filter change be the correct quantity?

Thanks

When oil and filter are changed it takes 6 quarts.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Bob, with a filter change, I would put in 5 qts. and then run the engine. After shutdown and a reasonable draindown period, then adjust the level to the full mark. Then you will know how much to add at service intervals. If the total is close to 5 qts. I would consider pulling the pan to round out the bottom as the engine is losing some of the cooling effect of the extra quart.

Comment

What I would be more concerned about than the Oil Capacity, would be the damage to the Oil Pickup and it's clearance, and it picking up the very bottom of the gunk in the sump oil.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich, I would recommend removing the pan and repairing the bottom as the oil pump pick up is close to the bottom of the pan and pushing the pan into the pick up could cause oiling problems. Bud

Comment

Another bonus with removing the pan is the ability to remove any sludge in the pan and pump screen.
            John
            1963 Avanti R2
            Marshall, VA

Comment

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X