Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Need assistance on a Stude OD setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need assistance on a Stude OD setup

OK, 53 2R 11 with a previous truck 4-speed, now equipped with a Studebaker car T-86 OD trans.
    Problem:
    I have issues with the column shifter, I cannot go from lo to 2nd without grave difficulty (no-workie) -I have to stop-

How do I adjust the rods, anyone?

What is this 'transmission Shift Rod Adjusting Gauge' that's used in the shift linkage box on the column pg 213 of the manual?

The upper link on the column shifter is not firmly attached to the shaft? It just moves freely -does not seem correct. I can however, get into low and reverse!
    More:
    The OD Solenoid, how much draw (pwr) does it pull? Does it pull electricity continously while in OD? Will it need a relay to power it, or can a switch handle it?

thanks!
    dan0

Herd:
    06 Jetta TDI
    1941 M15
    1953 2R11
    2001 F-350
    1989 Caprice
    Deere's:
    67' 112H
    88' 332

I have a 48 Commander with OD and have spent a lot of time trying to understand it.With regards the solenoid current, mine has a pullin coil that draws about 20 Amps and a holding coil that draws much less. The pullin coil drops out quickly, just like a starting winding on a motor disconnects when the motor is up to speed.This is very instantanious in the solenoid, just a split second.

Comment

Hmmm.
      Mine is a single unit. No idea if it has more than one coil,
      it has a blue and orange wire.

Herd:
      06 Jetta TDI
      1941 M15
      1953 2R11
      2001 F-350
      1989 Caprice
      Deere's:
      67' 112H
      88' 332

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dan0

Hmmm.
        Mine is a single unit. No idea if it has more than one coil,
        it has a blue and orange wire.

Herd:
        06 Jetta TDI
        1941 M15
        1953 2R11
        2001 F-350
        1989 Caprice
        Deere's:
        67' 112H
        88' 332
        Your OD solenoid does indeed have the two coils. They both receive power from the power terminal on the case. When the plunger reaches full travel, it depresses an internal switch which opens the ground connection to the pull-in coil.

The other screw terminal should read open-circuit to ground when the solenoid is un-energized, and should read as a short to ground with the solenoid energized. It should be connected to one of the pair of terminals on the kickdown switch that is furthest from the switch plunger, and the other terminal of that pair should connect to the points terminal of the ignition coil.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord-
          Is there a way to wire the Sol with a switch and a relay?

Herd:
          06 Jetta TDI
          1941 M15
          1953 2R11
          2001 F-350
          1989 Caprice
          Deere's:
          67' 112H
          88' 332

Comment

Sure there's a way - but why would you want to do that? Stude used a relay and governor (governor IS a switch - an "automatic" switch) for a reason and it wasn't just to sell extra parts.

As to your shifting woes, most of us that drive the wierd, "three-onna-tree-mobiles" have gotten to where we just involuntarily redefine the movement of the shift lever when going from Lo to 2nd. Actually lifting the shift lever a wee bit beyond the cross-movement before dropping back to then go to the 2-3 plane. That little extra lift essentially aligns the worn or misaligned shift lever cams inside the little box at the base of the column.
            That's not to say you CAN'T make things right and get it to where you don't have to give it thought each time yuou shift, but it involves taking apart the little shift lever cams on the column and making them true and non-sloppy after years of use.
            Once they're set up right, you disconnect your shift rod completely, make sure your shift lever is DEAD center in it's range of travel and then - one by one - adjust the rods to align with the levers on the side of the tranny - said tranny ears both being dead center of their range of travel.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well a phone call to the Master, Vern Ediger of Halstead KS got the linkage adjusted, and we now have three fwd gears (in succession) and reverse too!!yee-haw
              Now, for the Sol.[xx(]

Herd:
              06 Jetta TDI
              1941 M15
              1953 2R11
              2001 F-350
              1989 Caprice
              Deere's:
              67' 112H
              88' 332

Comment

But, Dan, what DID Obi Wan Kenobe of the transmissions (Vern Ediger) tell you to do? Please share! Did you find out what the adjusting gauge is or what it is supposed to do?

Yes, you can run the kick-down/lockout function with a switch on the dash, as many of us have. That lets you kick out the overdrive at part throttle instead of mashing the gas to the floor. Works great for climbing hills and passing. While it takes only a single-pole, single-throw switch to do this, you may want to use a two-pole, single-throw switch and wire up a small light through the other contact pair to remind you that you have electrically locked out the overdrive. The lock-out wire should be connected to the relay to carry the current and there should be a fuse in the circuit.

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Gary-
                  The master said:
                  find 'true neutral' of the trans...ok.
                  Then find neutral on the column setup...err, ok.
                  Then:
                  "put the column in 2nd" then "put the trans in 2nd"
                  adjust the (correct)[xx(]rod so the clevis pin slides in with the shift column end installed.
                  "ok"
                  "Then put er in lo and adjust the rod/clevis so the pin drops in"
                  Roger![^]
                  GOT IT
                  Works pretty durn good...but no real engine compression braking in 2nd (I started a thread)
                  dan0
                  Anyone close to KS need a truck trans/bellhousing??
                  On Edit: Ol Vern sez "ya dont need no adjustment gauge"
                  Herd:
                  06 Jetta TDI
                  1941 M15
                  1953 2R11
                  2001 F-350
                  1989 Caprice
                  Deere's:
                  67' 112H
                  88' 332

Comment

Gary-
                    I'm not sure I follow you on the wiring...I feel I will need a good (fused) switch, and a decent relay to power-up the solenoid. Right/Wromg?
                    The govenor will go unused. Good/Bad?

Steer me straight, sir!
                    I have seperate Blue and Orange wires on the sol, what color goes to what?
                    dan0

Herd:
                    06 Jetta TDI
                    1941 M15
                    1953 2R11
                    2001 F-350
                    1989 Caprice
                    Deere's:
                    67' 112H
                    88' 332

Comment

Well,
                      The last paragraph I wrote was basically what Vern told you, but all that matters is that you got it working right.
                      What worries me about going manual with a toggle switch is the possibility of forgetting you're in OD when you select and use reverse. Such a manuver will destroy the innards of the OD section in one event. Then you're screwed.
                      IF your tranny has a reverse lockout switch (and not all do), you need to incorporate that switch into your manual control setup. With the governor in the circuit, you had to be going 32 MPH in reverse to get into trouble, which is why they eventually did away with the lockout switch on reverse. But when you circumvent this safety factor, all it takes is one moment of distraction to cause you days of grief.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs-
                        Shift rods adjusted -system ops ck good.

OD:
                        Honestly, I'd rather connect it up like it SHOULD be, that way there will be no problems. I think there is a reverse L/O switch: is it the one on the aft end, with a rubber seal there to protect the innards of the switch? Mine works; (I ckecked it) but it's seal is SHOT.
                        If I wired this setup like it should be Id feel better...
                        dan0[|)]

Herd:
                        06 Jetta TDI
                        1941 M15
                        1953 2R11
                        2001 F-350
                        1989 Caprice
                        Deere's:
                        67' 112H
                        88' 332

Comment

If there's a round thing - on the right rear of the tranny, that's the governor. The Solenoid mounts on the left side and somewhat forward of the governor. The LO switch doesn't have a
                          "seal" and is just aft of the solenoid with two terminals that wires get attached to.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Biggs-
                            I understand what is what now.
                            OK.
                            Can you tell me how I should wire this setup? I understand there was a drop-dn or kickdn switch incorp on the throttle, I do not have this stuff, yet I want to wire it so the GOV allows the OD sol to engage/disengage.

Also- is there supposed to be an O ring, or gasket of some kind to keep the gov from leaking @ the base where it goes in the trans?

Many thanks, sir.
                            dan0

Herd:
                            06 Jetta TDI
                            1941 M15
                            1953 2R11
                            2001 F-350
                            1989 Caprice
                            Deere's:
                            67' 112H
                            88' 332

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dan0

the Master, Vern Ediger of Halstead KS
                              Does anyone know if this Mr. Ediger will be at SB? Sure would love to have him looking in on out trans. seminar...

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Comment

Working...
                              X