Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawklover
    replied
    Perry, that is exactly what I told Paul and Della yesterday!
    Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    That's a great way to end the story...for now ))))))))))))))))

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    That's a great way to end the story...for now ))))))))))))))))

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    The never ending story is now ended.

Starter motor now has brand new Bendix and brand new armature.

The car starts exceedingly fast, and the motor is dead silent...........and I took a peak at the ring gear........yes I saw where the Bendix scraped the teeth........but did not see and teeth actually broken.............topped her off with gas and now good to go...........I also put in a new magnetic switch...........I had it so I felt why not.......Stude life is good:-)

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    V8's tend to stop in one of 4 places, 6's in one of 3.
    If its a stick don't just "move" the ring gear on the flywheel, just bite the bullet and install a new ring gear.
    If its an auto trans (at least on Flightomatics), you can unbolt the flexplate, and advance the torque converter one bolt hole.
    This gives you 4 (or 3 with a 6) new stopping points. Worthwhile if you are not ready to drop the trans.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    If I recall, on a V8 the ring gear stops at four points in its rotation. That's where the starter engages. I remember a thread some time ago where people discussed moving the ring gear on the flywheel. Is this a doable option? If the ring gear is off, I guess a new one would be just as easy to install.

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    always park on a hill, and jump start the car to save the new starter......make sure OD is "out"

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    When I sell I will inform the new owner.......I just do not have the time or money to pull the clutch etc.....the car is only used in the summer and then no more than ten times in four months.......btw....the price was more than fair........$130.00 complete......can not beat that!
    Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
    ??????
    Even if the ring gear is shot will leave it in as the ring has a natural set point.
    ??????

does that mean you will sell the car knowing the ring gear is bad?
    Most starters last at least 20 yrs

Leave a comment:

• tbirdtbird
    replied
    ??????
    Even if the ring gear is shot will leave it in as the ring has a natural set point.
    ??????

does that mean you will sell the car knowing the ring gear is bad?
    Most starters last at least 20 yrs

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    The sad sad truth.............

Well the starter sat on the bench........then the ugly truth became evident...........Bendix teeth shot, armature bent to hell.......ordered a brand new armature with a matched Bendix drive.

Even if the ring gear is shot will leave it in as the ring has a natural set point......I will give a look before the starter goes back in as to what decernable damage the starter exhibits.

The last starter lasted six years.........I doubt I will own the car in six years.......:-)

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Ok but are the teeth on the bendix softer than those on the ring gear?

Leave a comment:

• Dads Baby
    replied
    The Texan TBird just hit the nail on the head! The time to inspect the ring gear is while you have the starter out!

Leave a comment:

• tbirdtbird
    replied
    i would rotate the flywheel 360* and check the ring gear teeth. there may be a chipped or missing one that is chewing the Bendix. Better to look now than later.....after the new starter is installed and trouble begins again....just to be sure....

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    started a topic Electrical: Update

Update

Well ran some tests and sure enough......the starter motor is history................

First thing I noticed were the teeth on the Bendix.........chewed to sheet............have to wait till next week for the shop to open her up...........I do have a question...........can one assume the teeth on a Bendix are of a softer metal composition that that of the ring gear?

I do not want to know about needing a new ring gear:-( ...........and from the condition of that Bendix drive teeth..........I shudder to think of what the ring gear could look like.............
Working...
X