Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Strange noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange noises

Yesterday my 60 hawk started making strange noises. It sounds like its comming from the rear, but not sure. It could be the transmission. It sounds like something is lose and dragging on the ground. I checked. nothing dragging. I pulled the rear wheels and nothing is lose on the brakes. It seems to do it at slower speeds and when I let off the gas. The universal joints seem to be tight. Any ideas what it could be?

Jeff Sheaffer
    60 Hawk
    Jeff Sheaffer
    Driving the past into the future

Can you define the noise for us a bit? Clanging sound? Ringing sound? Growling, whining, moaning, scraping, knocking?

Is it Automatic Trans.? could be your torque converter flex plate.

Does BRAKING make any difference?

How about parking brake cable riding on exhaust pipe where it crosses over it?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

it starts out as a little clanking then sounds like something metal dragging on the ground. Yes, its automatic. It seems to clunk when I put it in gear.

Jeff Sheaffer
      60 Hawk
      Jeff Sheaffer

Comment

That sounds a lot like a loose axle key or something in the rear brake drum, but does not make much sense if you just pulled them and checked.

You do know the keys go in taper down and inboard into the axle keyway about flush with the inboard end of the threaded part of axle, Right?
        Also all parts go together clean and dry, no lube. Axle nut tightened to 170-240 FT. LBS. or as tight as you can get it at the nearest cotter pin hole.

quote:Originally posted by 60studehawk

it starts out as a little clanking then sounds like something metal dragging on the ground. Yes, its automatic. It seems to clunk when I put it in gear.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich

Comment

I didn't know the key goes taper down although the key didn't come out when I pulled the wheel. I will pull them again and check that out. I'm also going to replace both universal joints. I may drain the differential and put in new fluid. what type oil should be used. Its a twin traction differential.

Jeff Sheaffer
          60 Hawk
          Jeff Sheaffer

Comment

Could be the muffler hitting the driveshaft.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Jeff; In a TT you use: A good brand: (Valvoline, Castrol, Sta-Lube, etc.) of GL-5 85W-90 for limited slip diff. If you completely drain it, you should also add a 4 OZ. bottle of Chrysler/Jeep, Ford or GM friction modifier additive.

Do NOT use any chemicals to flush or rinse the case! Just wipe the bottom clean by dabbing it with a shop rag if you must. The residue will contaminate/thin the oil!

quote:Originally posted by 60studehawk

I may drain the differential and put in new fluid. what type oil should be used. Its a twin traction differential.
              StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich

Comment

Problem fixed. I replaced both universal joints. They were tight and starting to rust. I also retorqued the rear wheels. Runs like a top now.

Jeff Sheaffer
                60 Hawk
                Jeff Sheaffer

Comment

Working...
                X