Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

factory paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: factory paint

Is it just me or is the factory colors just plain as can be? I was looking up the color for the paing on my car and it is colonial red. is there a color better looking with a metallic look? I don't care for the flat looking look to it. but I think it would fit the sleeper look humm..........IDK...........

Well...this is a forum and opinions abound. From a "non-expert," in comparison to today's paint technology, original paint is garbage. Pick your color and use a modern catalyzed urethane and you will have to work hard not to have a good gloss and durable paint job. I prefer the single stage (not base/clear) paints. More gloss and depth can be achieved by increasing the clear component and decreasing pigment as you build coats. However, if you want the "sleeper" look, a good color urethane will be fine. If you choose a metallic flake, go with a tiny particulate instead of the big gaudy flakes. Unless something has changed since I have done any painting...be prepaired to pay big bucks for red pigmented paints.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
      Is it just me or is the factory colors just plain as can be? I was looking up the color for the paing on my car and it is colonial red. is there a color better looking with a metallic look? I don't care for the flat looking look to it. but I think it would fit the sleeper look humm..........IDK...........
      "Colonial RedHIGH FASHION (the Paris, London, NYC type, not Wal-Mart or Macy's) color trends by 3-5 years. So your "Colonial Red" was in vogue in the '60s!!!

BTW, our SDC President owns an automotive paint company. Why not ask him for paint & color suggestions???

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        If you choose a metallic flake, go with a tiny particulate instead of the big gaudy flakes. Unless something has changed since I have done any painting...be prepared to pay big bucks for red pigmented paints.
        Still the case; any shade of red will be a costlier pigment. I believe the pigment still comes from the wings of beetles. Browns are cheap 'cause they come from dirt.
        There's all sorts of colors and sizes in the metal flakes that can be added. Same applies for the many pearls. The pearls will provide the fine glimmer with none of the gaudiness.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Colonial red can have a good shine to it. My dash is painted that color on my 60 & has gloss without the depth that clearcoat gives. To give you an idea on how it would really look take some clear plastic & place it on the car. Back in the late 80's I had a red 70 Cougar that I painted using Du Pont product. If memory serves me although it was a single stage paint, there was an additive I put in that separated the pigment from the clear after it was applied, before it dried. If you look at formulas (on single stage paint) you'll find that clear is the final ingredient in a color formula.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It's all opinion. And you know what opinions are like.

In my opinion, the cars look "right" with factory colors and look just plain wrong when someone decides to go for another color. Factory colors were the colors that were in fashion when the car was new. factory colors will never be dated, because they match the era of the car..

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why someone would go through all the work to do a paint job, then paint it a non factory color because "it's my car and I can do what i want" and then change their minds and try to sell the car years later, and then complain that the car doesn't sell. I've seen it happen so many times. But you never can tell someone that when they are thumbing through the paint sample book.

Same thing with interiors. Folks will go all out to "restore" a car and then stitch it up with non-factory materials, and not even bother to copy the factory stitching pattern. So many cars come so close to looking good except for these things.

I understand it's all a matter of opinion, and this is mine. I'm pretty sure that I am one of only six people who holds this opinion, but I'm sticking with it.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-04-2011, 05:05 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

With that being said mookandairin, here's my opinion: If you want a color that is in the 'red' family, may I suggest 2000 Ford Toroador (sp.) Red Metallic #5096.This color really "pops" in the sunlight and has just the right amount of 'flake in it IMHO.A website paint chip dosen't do it justice.
              Last edited by rusty65; 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Think 1950's
                Think outdated paint equipment.
                Think union controlled painters.
                Think low budget.
                Think limited palate of colors for the price offered.
                Think low bidder.

Then think about how well the Studebaker people did having those constraints in place when choosing paints and colors.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

thanks for all the advice guys. I think I came up with the answer.I am going to go with the factory color but with a base coat clear coat with the micro flakes in it. very lightly done. colonial red, boring? perhaps but it will save work in the end and look just fine giving me the sleeper look I am blessed with on this car. How do I get in touch with the president of SDC? what is his name? maybe he can give me a deal on the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by mookandairin View Post
                    >>>How do I get in touch with the president of SDC? what is his name? maybe he can give me a deal on the paint.
                    The SDC President's name and contact information are on the last page of any recent monthly issue of our Club's fine TURNING WHEELS magazine. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X