Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

79 Avanti 11 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 79 Avanti 11 restoration

Would like to put my good 79 Avanti 11 body on Corvette frame. I have a line on a 75 corvette. Anyone have any ideas or experiance ? My frame is completely rusted out. Thanks, for any help. dladrigan@live.com

I can show you pics of one. They didn't use the entire Corvette chassis, just the front and rear trucks. Looks pretty neat and couldn't be that difficult
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/AVDB1...1384x1110.html.
    Supposedly an LS5
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

A C3 Corvette has a 98" wheelbase where the Avanti has a 109" wheelbase. Either the Vette frame has to be stretched or the Avanti cut down into a two seater...which has been done before. A lot of Vette guys use a C4 chassis (1983-1996 Vette) for earlier body Corvettes...a much more advanced chassis than the C3 offers (I say that as a C3 owner), but with enough money and engineering talent, most anything is possible.

A good Avanti chassis should run you about $2k or thereabouts. You might look into the cost of doing that as opposed to the challenges of adapting a completely different chassis.
      Last edited by Gunslinger; 11-02-2011, 11:17 AM.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Wish you were closer. I have a '75 avanti rust-free frame I need hauled away.

Comment

"Wish you were closer. I have a '75 avanti rust-free frame I need hauled away."

For what you will have invested in time and money, the shipping on a frame would probably be a wash. But, your time, and your money!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

I have helped my buddies do older Corvette to C4 (84-96) conversions. Do not use that older 75 Corvette chassis. Since you need a new frame, I would consider a good Avanti frame with a C-4 front and rear suspension. OR, there is a wide selection of modern aftermarket Corvette suspension kits to use on a good Avanti frame.

Joe
            75 Avanti, 61 Corvette, 73 Corvette, 95 Corvette, 61 Beech Baron, 1944 PBJ

Comment

Working...
            X