• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought reverse lockout was mechanical
    1947 M5 under restoration
    a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

i thought reverse lockout was mechanical

The earlier units had an electrical switch that voided the solenoid if in reverse. I believe the electrical troubleshooting that has been done has eliminated the Lock Out as a problem.

At some point the engineers realized that no one was going to go into overdrive (over 30 mph) in reverse and eliminated the electrical unit.

Comment

I replaced the lockout switch. I first replaced the kickdown switch and tried, then the relay and tried it again and then replaced the lockout switch. The lockout switch was fairly new anyway and the old one test good also. We have checked the governor on the car and I have taken the rubber boot off of the governor and removed the 3 screws to see if the contacts were claean and working.
        As a last resort should I replcace the governor just to see? May be an expensive try. John

Comment

we're just replacing stuff
          time to follow the diagnostic steps in the manual

Comment

I know youi have been following the scenario and I have both the manual and the overdrive manual and have followed all the diagnostic steps to no avail. Once by old time SDC owner Rick Phillips and another by a electrical shop that specializes in old cars and has been in busines for 30+ years. Don't know where else to go.

Comment

If you have bypassed everything, and hooked directly to the solenoid, then it's time to tear into the transmission.
              Either the pawl is stuck, or the blocking ring is. A good transmission shop can fix in the car, without having to pull the whole transmission.
              Only tricky part is catching the sprag rollers, heavy grease will hold them in place when reinstalling.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

its gonna be mighty tough to work on that baby while it is in the car...
                good luck we are all your cheering section ya got me stumped

Comment

Just to keep you posted. I have put on hold until weather warms up. I am still stumped and will probably pull the transmission and have it looked into. John

Comment

I'm having a similar issue. I havent bypassed to the solenoid yet. However I just learned that my wife pulled out the od switch while driving about a month ago...what sort of damage could that cause?

Comment

Problems

I have see two different shaft lengths on the Overdrive solnoids. Is it possible that you are installing one with too short a shaft?
                      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                      61 V8 Tcab
                      63 Tcab 20R powered
                      55 Commander Wagon
                      54 Champion Wagon
                      46 Gibson Model A
                      50 JD MC
                      45 Agricat
                      67 Triumph T100
                      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment