Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Low Engine Vacuum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Engine Vacuum

I've been readying my 64 Lark for the trip to South Bend, and during my tune up I see that the engine vacuum is only about 16", I've tried adjusting the timing to get a change but it seems 'happiest' in the low number range. I've listened and sprayed for leaks and have not found any, I've set the valves and the result is the same, before and after.
    I'm running an Edelbrock 1406, on a 259 with a stock presolite distibutor,new wires, points,plugs, cap and rotor. I purchased this car last fall and it appears the engine has been rebuilt, or at least recently assembled.
    I've also checked the pvc valve, it appears to be free and operating.
    What else can I check, my days are numbered?
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Are you removing the 3/8" pipe plug in the intake manifold to "read" the vacuum? That is where Studebaker recommended checking it.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Short answer: YES
      Bill Foy
      1000 Islands, Ontario
      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

What's wrong with 16?

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Agree, 16" is on the low end of OK. It's not really a problem, but if you want to confirm it can/can't go higher, remove the lines and plug every opening from the intake. Does it have power brakes? That can be a leak. What about your PCV valve? Have you confirmed your RPM setting. Some tachometers are not accurate at low RPMs. Same with vacuum gauges. I have a 5" brass industrial gauge. One small aftermarket dashboard-type gauge I checked was off by 3". Also, run a restrictor in the vacuum line. If you run the full diameter line, the needle will flutter and not be as accurate as if it has a 1/16" or smaller diameter hole restriction in the line.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

When you said you adjusted the timing, were you going strictly by the timing marks? If so, try ignoring those and adjust the timing going strictly by the vacuum gauge. Just be sure to have the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Mine was running about 16 inches also when going by the marks. It now runs around 21" and seems much happier.

Comment

Working...
            X