Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

54 6 cylinder motor and trans into a 50 champion ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 54 6 cylinder motor and trans into a 50 champion ???

I have an individual inquiring about the 6 in my 1954 Champion Coupe. He wants to know will motor and trans fit without problem in his 1950 Champion . Am hopeful someone can answer his question. I have no clue. Thank you very much.

take a good look

They should interchange be SURE to take a good look at the engine steel mounts to block, oil pan and things like throttle linkage, air cleaner etc. Be sure he has 2 sets of everything because its that one part you do not have that will be needed most.

When in doubt on an item, look between the '50 and the '54 parts books. The book will tell you if the part numbers are all the same for 'key' items that may affect fit/clearance issues between those years. When the part number is different, take a close look to see " why".

Comment

If I understand you correctly. The motor and trans fit from one to the other .....just may need some 50 parts and may need some 54 parts to complete the install. Correct ?

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is if your transferring the entire engine/trans assembly from one to another, there should be no major problems. However, as stated in the shop manual, if only the engine is transferred, then you must check with a dial indicator for runout on the bell housing to crankshaft. Like Mike said, check parts between those years in the parts book to make sure.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It is the same basic engine, and I think the bellhousing is the same, also the transmission. '54 may have a bigger clutch, but that should not pose a problem.

I am pretty sure what is different is the front motor mounts. The '54 uses a pair of rubber biscuits under "L" brackets bolted to the sides of the block a few inches back from the front. I am fairly sure the '50 uses an oblong rubber cushion at the very front of the motor, bolted to a projecting flange on the front engine plate. You can change that plate, but the front pulley, harmonic balancer and hub, timing cover, and timing gears must come off. That means using pullers. Not a huge chore if you are tooled up for it, but it could make for bad day if you aren't expecting it.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by mike super View Post
            I have an individual inquiring about the 6 in my 1954 Champion Coupe. He wants to know will motor and trans fit without problem in his 1950 Champion . Am hopeful someone can answer his question. I have no clue. Thank you very much.

The oil pans are completely different. I put a '51 Champion engine in a '50 one time and had to swap pans. Otherwise it worked OK.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
            X